Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible security Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopydawg

Technical User
May 9, 2005
US
OK, somehting wierd. When i was loggin in to a website to pay a bill, i began to type in my username and the autofill window dropped down. In the autofill window was a username that i have never seen nor my wife has ever seeen. We are the only two who use this machine. How is this possible?

I use PC-Cillin with auto-update daily, I have all window updates current. Is this a sign of my computer being hacked? Please, anyone, help me understand how this happens.

Thanks,

KMart-

If the computer was previously owned or is a manufactured one it might have the name from a previous owner or company.

Thanks for the thought but thats not the case.

KMart-

Did this strange user account match any of the letters that you typed, for example, the first letter, the first and second etc?

Did you try this?

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Content tab.
Under Personal information, click AutoComplete.
Select the check boxes for the AutoComplete options you want to use.

217148 - How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6

237553 - Disabling or Enabling the AutoComplete or Inline AutoComplete Feature

Type Control UserPasswords2 in the Start Run box, use the resulting window's Advanced tab to get to "Manage Passwords" and see if there is anything in there?

Perhaps you should ask your question at the actual site's support section in case there is a problem at their end?

I typed Control UserPasswords2 and looked around in the Manager Passwords, didn't see anything that stands out there.

I can understand it if the usernames were simular to others but this was "dcjohnsonhorse". This is nothing like what we use in our household.

I had about 4 names that i new were mine then the i had just listed. This hasn't been the first time i have noticed somerhing like this.

Maybe it is on the other end

KMart-

Can anyone log on to your computer? Do you have login Passwords?

You could check the Security log in the Event Viewer for any mention of "dcjohnsonhorse". If you haven't a Security log you may want to start one and keep an eye on who logs on to your machine?

Look in the Security folder for logging events or set it up to monitor such events. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage. Setting up the security logging is done via Group Policy Computer Configuration/ Security Settings/ Local Policies/ Audit Policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back