Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible mounting problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

no25

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
PH
I've been scouring the internet for reviews on the Enermax EG-365P-VE psu's and so far I am impressed with it. My only concern is that I might encounter some mounting problems with it in my case. My current case mounts a psu with the exhaust fan at the left while the power connectors at the right (viewing from the rear of the case). I think I can mount the enermax psu this way (with some mounting holes matching my case), but if I do this the bottom fan will be situated on top. Is this ok or should I be looking at other psu's? If it's the latter can you guys suggest me a good one like enermax that is compatible with my case?

My suggestion is to find a local reseller with the best price, and take your case to them so that they can advise you, and may be even, install and test it.

Insist that they give you a written warranty for both workmanship and it's useful life in your environment.

If you purchase, and their advice/product is flawed, then you have every opportunity for redress (legal and/or the press).

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

I've been searching for other enermax psu's (with 1 fan) and I found one, the Enermax EG301P-VB 300W Power Supply.

Here is the description of the said psu:

"300W single fan ATX power supply AMD approvedand P4 ready. This single fan power supply is the only one that we carry that will fit the PC-30 case, because it only has one fan. It will also fit into any ATX PSII form factor case."

What are these case standards? Does that mean my case is pc-30 and not atx psII?

I have come across this a couple of times before, where a twin fan PSU would have to be mounted upside down for the screw holes to line up.
It's a shame because the this extra fan, when mounted above the CPU, really does help in keeping the CPU temps down.
Trouble is, when these twin fan units are used the other way around, in most cases there isn't enough space above the fan for it to work properly.
I would say when mounted with the fan at the top there needs to be a minimum 15mm gap for the fan to draw off the warm air properly.
This is not really down to Enermax as all the twin fan PSU's I've seen are orientated the same, it's got to be the case manufactures fault for not thinking about the possibility of a twin fan replacement.
BTW. Enermax PSU's are excellent****
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

So, it's ok to buy one (dual fans) and place it in my case, as long as there is some space above it? Mine's a no-namer, but as you said putting dual fan psu's in my case would mean putting it upside down just to line up the screws. I wanted to buy this psu so I can still use it if I ever upgrade my pc in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back