Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible DNS issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsnetwiz

MIS
Feb 7, 2004
US
I've tried everything here and have not put my finger on it....its driving me crazy
New win2k adv srv. with AD configured. I configured the DNS forwarders with the ISP's dns ip's. DNS is configured to acceps dynamic updates. Here is where it gets really confusing. Client uses pop3 mail configured to use outlook. I have the client machines DNS pointed to the win2k server, but when the first IP is the internal win2k server, then cannot send/receive email. I have to enter in the ISP dns as the first IP in order for them to get mail. Here's the kicker; When the isp dns is listed first in the clients ip stack, they lose their mapped drives, and receive an error that the domain is not available. This occurs with my clients two xp machines and one other win2k pro machine. I've compared all setting with the desktop machines that work and I cannot figure it out. What an I overlooking here? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

do you have forwarding configured from your dns to your isp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back