Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible DNS/AD issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsnetwiz

MIS
Feb 7, 2004
US
I just built a win2k advanced server with domain and now I believe I might have a DNS issue. I rebuilt the DNS in AD to an AD integrated with secure updates as recommended by MS. The IP stack is pointed to the server as well as the ISP DNS servers. I configured the ISP's dns servers in the DNS settings under admin tools. All went well....now client machines are getting unable to connect to network drives when trying to log in. I double checked DNS and everything looks on the up and up. In the servers event viewer it has an event 5773; I looked it up and it mentioned something about dynamic updates being turned off. Mine are turning to secure. The bottom line is client machines are having trouble logging into mapped drives. They log in, get the error that mapped drives are not available. When they try to open the mapped drives they are prompted to enter in userid and pw.

Any thoughts? TIA!!

DCSNETWIZ

I dont think this will resolve your issue, but you should take your ISP's DNS ip's out of tht IP stack and then setup forwarders on the DNS server to point to your ISP's DNS servers.

Server should point to itself for DNS all local clients should only point to local DNS server(s). If using DHCP set it to only give out the locak DNS server(s) IP to clients.

To setup forwarders load the DNS console and goto properties of the main server, select the forwarder tab and enter your ISP's DNS servers IP in here.

Thanks - your right it did not solve the issue, but I already had the forwards setup for the ISP DNS servers.

Any other thoughts on why these machines wont connect properly?

What happens if you take the client machines off the domain and try re-adding them. I got a feeling it might be something todo with the rebuilding of the AD.

I didnt rebuild AD, I rebuilt the DNS zones (forward and reverse) thinking I had a DNS issue. Adding the machines to the domain goes fine.

You might want the check that the DNS entries are correct, there might be an entry missing. Also check that the server you are trying to connect for the mapped drives is pointing to the correct IP.

The only thing i could find that could be the problem was on the eventID site:

You could be missing these entries in your current DNS zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back