Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible bug in Norton AntiVirus 2005 scanning RAR 1.5x archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDorner

Technical User
Oct 27, 2004
CA
Stats.: NAV2005 v11.0.2.4, Windows XP Home 2002 SP2

Symptoms: Scan of local or remote drives terminates/disappears without error, or error 3019,1 or 3019,6 or 30190005 (in the logs) appears, or e-mail scanner gives error that Norton AntiVirus was unable to scan the e-mail attachment.

History: I installed NAV2005 downloaded from Symantec Online Store. Could not complete initial scan of all drives due to symptoms above. Completely uninstalled and reinstalled the product twice with assistance from Symantec kbase and technicians (ie removed all regkeys manually, ran app. to remove old versions, cleared Temp files, checked system settings, "clean" boot with no services or startup apps. before reinstall from fresh download) but problem persisted so tried to identify the cause.

Analysis: I tried scanning as folders rather than entire drives and found that most folders would complete normally. By process of elimination found two files that crashed the scanner. Both were from NIC driver suites, and both were SFX (self-extracting) RAR 1.51 archives. I installed all RAR versions I could find and created test archives; found that all 1.5x versions (1.51-1.55) would crash the scanner and no others would.

The file that I isolated as the cause of the problem is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Decomposers\Dec2RAR.dll. This .DLL has the same version in my Decomposers folders as the others: 3.2.12.11. If this file is renamed and the affected RAR 1.5x archive is scanned, a Windows Installer pops up for ccCommon to restore the missing .DLL and if this is cancelled (several times) the scan completes "normally" without error.

A Symantec tech. sent me an "official" copy of the Decomposers folder including the affected .DLL, I replaced mine with it, and the error did not change. I have sent all of this information to Symantec for their (hopeful) consideration.

Can anyone else verify they have encountered the same problem?

Looking at the no reply status from the previous posting I'm not holding my breath waiting for an answer to this question:

Running Win XP SP 2 problem with recently downloaded from Norton Internet Security 2005 with Anti Spy. Download and install appeared to go well but Anti Virus refuses to run bringing up a “Norton AntiVirus was unable to scan your computer for infections” (3019,6) message.

Following the links to the Symantec “Help” I have tried all the suggested options but even after a removal and re-install still get the above message. At the Win XP prompt from their looks like both times navwnt.exe, nmain.exe and navw32.exe are missing. Any suggestions please.

I have installed and run AdAware which found a heap of errors and AVG which found A0049614.exe - PSW.Bispy.D, bi.dll - PSW.Bispy.A, biprep.exe - PSW.Bispy.B, A0049614.exe and A0049789.dll – Downloader.Rahmeh.e One removed after the scan. PC now doing a rescan in Safe Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back