Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible Attack...not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreep

Programmer
Apr 8, 2000
US
Visit site
I was on my friend's computer when I believe I was experiencing DoS attacks when the modem started to make noise like when you pick up the phone but it was coming in through the modem speaker. I want to know if this is possible and how they did it or if it's even related.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In other words, you got a dial tone on your modem. I don't believe this was an attack. DoS attacks are usually directed at servers that are online all the time. More likely, your friend's modem was being directed to pick up the line. This could have been a program on the computer sending the off hook command to the modem, or someone was dialing the phone number then hanging up. Usually in the latter case, though, the modem sends its signals to answer the incoming call (the squelching sounds you hear when modems talk to each other).<br><br> <p>James P. Cottingham<br><a href=mailto:main@ivcusa.com>main@ivcusa.com</a><br><a href= Veneer Co., Inc.</a><br>All opinions are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

2ffat:<br><br>I didn't get a dialtone. I heard the modem just make the sounds in the middle of me being online I didn't get kicked off. As for the DoS attacks, those can be done to anyone. However, you may be right that a program sent an off-hook command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back