Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible Alternative to Avaya Migration 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECartman

Vendor
Jan 22, 2011
IE
Hi Guys,

Just stumbled across this on the web. Supports T & M series sets.

Anyone seen one in action ?

On UCx systems, 10 licenses allow you to configure up to 10 extensions. Each of these extensions can use all features available on the system (to name a few - voicemail, personal MeetMe conference room, automatic/manual call recording, NAT traversal on Nortel phones, Find Me Follow Me, membership in ring groups, page groups, Call Center agent functions and so on).

Devices that count as extensions are SIP phones, Nortel IP phones (i2000 series, 1100 series and 1200 series), analog phones (provided via a SIP gateway or UCx Digital Gateway) and Nortel digital phones (provided via UCx Digital Gateway).

SIP trunks are a basic built-in capability of UCx systems. Any number of SIP trunks - and any number of channels on these trunks - can be used without any additional license.
When you get a SIP trunk from a provider in your area or some global provider, you just configure the SIP trunk in the management interface and define outbound route(s) that should use this trunk. After that, all extension that are allowed to use the route(s) can then use the trunk. Clearly, you can have trunks from multiple SIP trunk providers at the same time.

For PSTN access, you have to use SIP gateways. E-MetroTel offers several types of analog and ISDN gateways, but you can use SIP gateways from vendors they don't carry, too.
These gateways are connected to the UCx system using SIP trunks. Once you set them up, there is no real difference (from configuration perspective) between a SIP trunk from a provider and a SIP trunk for the gateway.

If you need more trunks, it can be extremely simple if you use a SIP trunk provider. Many SIP trunk providers allow you to increase the maximum number of channels based on your immediate needs (for example seasonal call volume increase or a one shot campaign you may want to run) and then reduce them back. For example, you can check out Skype - they provide SIP trunks with a lot of flexibility.
If you need additional PSTN trunks, you'd have to add another gateway. BTW - for companies with several locations, it is possible to use the local gateway as the preferred route and a gateway from another location as an overflow route. If there is network connectivity in place, it's just matter of setting it up (and making sure the required network bandwidth is available :).

what if you have a norstar customer? can you re-use any of the MICS equipment? How can I buy BCM 50 cabinets if they are being discontinued? Refurb?

When migrating from MICS, you can use only phones. When migrating from BCM200/400, you can use your phones and digital station modules. When migrating from BCM50, you can use phones, the BCM50 main unit, expansion chassis and digital station modules.

BCM50 end of sales will be - if I am not mistaken - in March next year. With so many systems manufactured (my guess is well over 100k), there will be a considerable refurb market after that date.

I live and work in Ottawa Canada, what is the MSRP to convert an existing BCM 50 with 10 extensions to this system and what are the increments for licenses and prices.

The price would depend on the phones you have. If you have BCM50 with IP phones only, all you'd need is the UCx50 system with 10 licenses. If you have digital phones, you would need also the UCx Digital Gateway SSD for your BCM. The MSRP for is $1950 (US) for the UCx50 system and $295 for the SSD. There is also 1 year or 3 year support that you can select. For 10 IP phones, your MSRP for UCx50 including the 1 year support contract would be something like $2240, for 10 digital phones the MSRP for UCx50/SSD/support would be about $2580. At this time, I believe these numbers should be "plus minus a little bit" correct. :)

You should contact E-MetroTel to get a quote ( E-MetroTel provides several discount levels for resellers - there could be something for direct sales, too. At the same time, you could possibly ask them for a contact in Ottawa.

Great to see such good feedback on this system. I currently have the system and love how much it resembles a Norstar/BCM but with even more advanced ring tones and Caller ID capabilities among other things!

I ve been experimenting with this system even more the past few days and I have been able to accomplish some awesome things:

-you are able to change your line keys to read whatever they want on the IP phones, not just IC 222, but to Joe-222 or Ext. 222, whatever you need.

-there are 8 ring tones and a call buzz very much like a CS1000 platform.

-Caller ID gives you the NAME AND NUMBER at the same time, something Norstar/BCM has always lacked!

-Time and date doesn't take up a whole line of the display, it shares with CLID Information on the 1120 and 1220 sets. It reads out on the right hand side of the display like on a CS1000 IP set.

-You can personalize what you want your IP phone to display to say on each extension, with a company name or person per each phone, not just the whole network as the BCM only allows. So say everyone wanted to put their name on their own phone, they can.

-Many feature codes are the same as the BCM, but the E-metrotel guys are working on more too.

-You can use Nortel phones along with any type of SIP device, say if you have a mix of Cisco and Nortel phones, they can run on the same switch.

-On the 11xx and 12xx sets, icons sit next to the line/feature keys during their idle state, unlike the BCM which is just blank.

That's just to name a few things I am satisfied with. If many of you remember my past quotes on Tek Tips, I've always complained that the Norstar/BCM lacked many of these simple features, I am so glad to see a system that costs about as much as a simple BCM50, with CS1000 quality features!

Anyone else experimented with this System yet?

Hi, has anyone else experimented with this system or bought a system? I am curious how the Nortel fanatics out there like this system?

Gordon we are looking at it but have not pulled the trigger as of yet. Have you played with any of the Call Center, IVR, Call Recording, UM or Find me Follow me stuff. I think if that is put together correctly it could also be a good selling point for this system because it all comes with the unit without any additional codes needed.

Hi Hawks,

I have basically experimented with basic telephony features such as adjusting display key indicators, ring groups, voice mail, call forwarding, caller ID settings and routing.

I haven't moved that far yet.....but I'll will attempt the Find Me Follow Me this evening and let you know how it works......

The others will be in the next few days....

So far I've liked what I've seen with the Telephone sets....how they act more like advanced Meridian 1 sets than "limited" Norstar sets... :)

-enhanced CLID display
-8 ring tones
-Internal calls hold music
-personalized messages on the display of each phone
-line key indicator adjustments
-Time and Date isn't bulky....offset to the right like on CS1000
-Easy to set up 2 digit dialing for access to Paging systems, etc.
-Caller ID filtering so when you dial from the Callers List, you never have to Press access code
-Line Key indicators such as telephones next to the buttons or other symbols next to feature keys

I know I need to experiment more with in depth things like you mentioned.

to name a few....

JP

I was able to set up Find Me Follow Me to dial my cell phone within a few seconds. Now, I have to figure out how to configure features within the system once you want to hand off a call from your cell phone back to the UCx....It took me a while with the BCM.....this may be a lot easier....stay tuned....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back