Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possibility of Recovery Oracle DB instance from Hotbkup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrivesMeCrazy

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
SG
Hi Guys,

just wondering if this is possible at all.
E.g. I have a production hotbkup copy of the DB instance.
And i restore it to a staging environment with the pfile everything ready.

Is it possible to completely recover a database without any data lost?

Thanks in advance

Hi KenCunningham,

did i answer my questions?
What happened is i try restoring from a hotbkup to a staging environment, whereby the DBA said that able to recover the db but with some data loss.

Hence, was wondering if a hotbkup could really recover a db completely.

Sorry, I still don't quite understand. I take it you or the DBA were able to restore the database but for some reason some of the data was missing? I don't really see how this can be the case unless of course there have been changes to the data between taking the backup and restoring it. Can you clarify exactly what the nature of this 'data loss' is, please?

Hello again. If you do a keyword search for hot backup in this forum, there are several threads which explain some of the concepts surrounding the issue. These may help you to understand what is happening in your instance (no pun intended!).

DrivesMe,

If you do the following steps, you should be able to restore to the staging area right up to the most recently committed transaction from your source database (provided that your staging area has file systems identical to your source database):

1) Restore the hot backup data files to the appropriate locations on your staging machine.
2) Restore archived redo log files on the staging machine to the locations that Oracle wrote them to on the source machine.
3) Ensure that your parameter file is in the proper location for startup on your staging machine.
4) "SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE" your source instance.
5) copy your control files and on-line redo log files to the corresponding locations on the staging machine.
6) (At this point, you may startup your source instance again, but any DML on the source instance will no longer appear on the staging instance.)
7) "STARTUP MOUNT" your staging machine.
8) "RECOVER DATABASE"
9) When the recovery is complete, "ALTER DATABASE OPEN;" and your staging database should be up and running, consistent with the source database up to the source instance's last shutdown.

Let us know how this works for you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back