Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POS upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micros888

Technical User
Dec 9, 2007
US
I have 3 terminal micros3700 running windows XP and with the new credit card upgrade rule that goes in effect the OCT I am required to upgrade as XP is no longer supported and Micros will not upgrade the software, any suggestion as the best possible option, I prefer not to split the FOP cc on an external terminal, is there any software that I can use or whats the best option, even a new POS system .

many thanks for any thoughts ....

You could build a new 2008 server, install Micros and restore the database to it. See if Micros would assist you with that, or try it yourself (if you have the installation files). I would suggest Windows 2003, but it is End of Life support as of July 14, 2015.

If you stay with a Micros system, you'll have to get off XP and upgrade to 3700 v5.x. The issue is that Microsoft is no longer putting out any kind of security patches for XP. Once that happens the payment card industry labels it as non-compliant, and Micros cannot perform software upgrades on non-compliant systems without putting themselves at risk.

You can use POSREADY2009 which "IS" windows XP until April, 2019 for terminals. You still need a different system for the server (my experience with POSREADY2009 and Aloha, ok for terms but makes a lousy server) It is as if they intentionally mucked with the network stack to make it perform poorly. YMMV

Yep, we have POSREADY2009 on our kitchen screens. It could probably be loaded on WS4 terminals (CE4.0), but it would be a science project and even if it works would result in hardware that won't be supported. Micros is a bit like Apple in that they pretty much only allow their own hardware or support is out the window. The plus side is that service techs always know what they're working on and will usually have the parts and knowledge to make repairs without requiring a followup trip. The downside is that as a customer you're limited in your options.

One of the deciding factors for Micros888 is going to be what kind of terminals are on the system. If they're running CE6 they'll be good until 2018 and s/he can stick with Micros and just upgrade the server. If they're running CE4, XP or Win2000 then the whole system will have to be replaced and it may be worth shopping around for another system. As much as I'm a big Micros advocate, it's an expensive system and I know it isn't for everyone. It's all about what works best for your restaurant.

I use to have Aloha and moved to Micros and heard that aloha has improved it customer service and as I need to upgrade any thoughts on if Aloha should be considered.

warm regards

The first step should still be to find out what needs to be replaced. If you can keep your terminals it may be less expensive to keep Micros and replace the server. If you can't, it may be less expensive to get a new system from Aloha than from Micros.
After that I'd talk to some restaurant owners/managers in your area who use Aloha and see what they have to say about support. It may be great, or it may be horrible; it depends on you local dealer. Also, find out what, if any, trade-in value your current equipment has.
And don't be afraid to play the dealers against each other and tell them that you're looking at other systems. Micros may cut a deal with you to keep Aloha out, and Aloha may make a deal to steal a Micros customer away from them.

In our market (Memphis) buying an Aloha system is now tied to buying equipment too. This was not the case in 2007 when you could buy terminal licenses and key and use any terminal setup. This is probably a good thing for you but does not fit well with my situation being a fairly advanced computer tech and owning all the equipment I need.

Does any NCR-Radiant dealer sell just license and service contract anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back