Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POS 3700 Happy Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColiServerManager

Technical User
May 10, 2016
US
I've tried to set up a Happy Hour in our POS3700 like the one that @savissimo posted nearly 7 years ago. It works only as far as the first line-item that is entered on the system. If I have a server enter 1 beer and 1 cocktail, the first beer gets the HH discount while any remaining items entered are displayed at full price. Is there a way to make this discount extend for the entire ticket?

thread693-1535782

Check on your menu levels, if they are not configured correctly it wont work

I should mention: When I said "POS3700" I meant Micros 3700

I'm completely self-taught on this system, so if you could be a bit more specific on what to do with a "menu level" or at least what to look for, that would be greatly appreciated!
Also, could you possibly explain what "pop up to _____ level" means? Maybe if I understood what that meant, I could figure this out.

When I go to "Menu Levels" in the POS Configurator, there are four of them set up:

Number / Name / Active Menu Levels / Pop up to Main Level / Pop up to Sub Level
101 / All Levels / Main Level 1-10 are checked as well as Sub Level 1-10 / 1 / 1
102 / Sub 1 / Main Level 1-4 are checked as well as Sub Level 1-4 / 1 / 1
102 / Sub 2 / Main Level 1-4 are checked as well as Sub Level 1-4 / 1 / 2
103 / Sub 3 / Main Level 1-4 are checked as well as Sub Level 1-4 / 1 / 2

I hope what I've written above makes sense. Those are the only four Menu Level Classes that I see configured for us. In that, I'm assuming something needs to be changed so that my HH prices can extend the whole ticket.

The system has 2 menu levels that are active at all times, main and sub. So assuming level 1 is the default for both, the system will be on main level 1 and sub level 1. These levels can be changed, in various ways and for various reasons. So a system can be switched to main level 1 and sub level 2, and so on. There are 10 possible levels for both main and sub that work independently of each other. The name of the menu levels (not the class) should be descriptive to emphasize their purpose, like Happy Hour.

The two most common reasons to change the systems menu levels is to
1- change the price of menu items
2- change the availability of menu items

Typical programming practice was to use the main level to control availability and the sub level to control price. But this is completely arbitrary, but very common. If availability is always constant (everything available all the time), then the system would always stay on main level 1.

Note: on the bottom of the terminal touch screens there are information boxes. The main and sub level names (not the number) will be displayed there for the staff to reference. If it is not displayed, press Enter to toggle between the time/date and menu level (this depends on what touch screen template is being used).

There are 3 locations in the POS Configurator to complete programming levels
1- Sales>Menu Levels (you found this)
- this section simply defines the levels that are active for each class. In your case, if the system switched to sub levels 5-10, no menu item or price would be active (at least the menu items assigned to classes that do not ignore menu levels)/(they would either disappear or pop an error when pressed).
2- Revenue Center>RVC Transactions>Menu Levels
- this section names the actual menu level and prefix for each revenue center (one system can run multiple restaurants, or the bar and restaurant could have separate revenue centers to allow for programming differences and behavior, like menu levels).
3- Sales>Menu Item Classes>Price/Totals
- this section has check box options to allow menu items of certain classes to change menu levels and other menu classes to ignore the change in the system menu levels. This also tells the system if main or sub level will be looked at for pricing. (can't be both)

You should notice that both section 1 and 2 (from above) have options related to "pop to main/sub levels". This allows for override of the menu level class by specific revenue centers.

So, go to RVC Transactions > Menu Levels and see what the names are. If they are descriptive it will give you a clue as to what they should be. Also, go to Sales > Menu Item Classes > Price/Totals and look at a class that is assigned to one of your beers (first find a beer in your list and note the menu item class assigned to it). Verify it is using sub level for prices.
Finally, if sub 2 is determined to be your happy hour level, make sure the option called "Do not pop up to sub-level" is checked for all effected revenue center. Also make sure the option in the drop down for "Pop up to Sub-level" is 2 for the happy hour class in the Sales > Menu Levels section.

The only thing missing is how to change and schedule the change of menu levels, but that is for another day.

Hint: While working in the POS Configurator, if you click on the question mark icon at the top of the window, then click on an option in that window, a context sensative help window will describe in brief what that option is for/does. Also, next to the question mark is an icon that is a book with a yellow question mark. That will pop up your complete reference/user guide. Go to the section under "Contents" expand "Feature Reference" expand "L-Q" expand "M", you will see the section on menu levels.

Hope this helps.

David Jenulis

@BootstrapperRI That worked out perfectly! I have been able to get the discount to apply down the ticket and apply only to those items that I specified.

UPDATE: 5/25/16: Just got notified by the staff last night that now the system, when it goes from HH pricing back to normal pricing, applies the normal price to the first line-item, but then all subsequent items entered at that time go in at the HH price. It seems to be the complete opposite issue of my original one!

Verify the prices in the pos configurator and what the submenu levels are assigned. We noticed and issue with the repeat item button not giving the correct menu level for some reason as it was defaulting to a different menu level than we wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back