Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ports missing from VLAN 1, unable to add

Status
Not open for further replies.

ploughingon

Technical User
Jul 3, 2006
GB
Hi

I'm fairly new to Nortel Kit, but as far as I understand it shouldn't all ports be members of VLAN 1? I'm working with a passport 8600 where about 16 ports accross two blades have been removed and everytime i attempt to add them I get an error

"rcVlanPortMembers.1 The specified port members are invalid.
It could be (for WSM Card)
Can't modify VLAN 1's ports, it is part of the default configuration."

If i use CLI /config/vlan/1/ports# add 3/1 (for example) it simply says Error: Invalid port members

I suspect its my numptiness that's making me tear my hear out but any clues greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Hi Vince,

VLAN 1 has an IP assigned

Do i have to break that before I can add them?

No.
It's more if the ports aren't configured as switchports but as layer3 interfaces, then I expect you can't add them to a VLAN.

The other thing is Trunks - I haven't used an 8600 for years so I can't remember the configuration, but maybe if those ports belong to an MLT then you can't alter them because any config changes have to be done on the MLT instead?

I can't really remember, sorry.

Thats OK, you've given me some pointers. Thanks for your time.

ploughingon,

Are you using different spanningtree groups?

If ports are added to a specific STG which is different to the VLAN you are trying to apply (in this case VLAN 1) then it won't allow you to add the ports to the VLAN until you add the ports to the STG of the VLAN.

Cheers,

Bas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back