Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

portrait images displayed as landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrydoughty

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
GB
I have recently acquired a new laptop with windows 7 installed. I have Microsoft Front Page 2003 which I have used for many years (Vista and XP)

I have compiled pages with photographs which are linked by thumbnails in the past (100's of photos on various web sites)

I am producing pages with photos, some of which are portrait orientation. When viewing on the web site the portrait images are on their side (landscape).

Any ideas why?

There is rotational EXIF metadata included in the file. Either the web design program is not recognizing it or the browser is not recognizing it.

You might have greater success by stripping this metadata from the file. [highlight #FCE94F][/highlight]

I have a;ways just designed by inserting images and thumbnailing.

What is this metadata and where do I find and strip it from the file?

I am using previous files and just removing previous images and replacing and renaming the file.

see where the images are the correct orientation.

Please forgive my ignorance!

Most image editing software can do this. And it is truly ideal to run images through image editing software to prepare them for the web with small file sizes.

If you don't already have image editing software, this free tool will remove the rotational info...

OK - file size too large

Many thanks, problem solved!

Yes metadata will sometimes play havoc on file executions. In images the metadata tell many programs what can and cannot (as well as sometimes what should) be done with an image.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back