Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portrait and Landscape pages in CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CylonLove4Life

Technical User
Feb 15, 2005
ES
Yes, I know you cannot do different sized pages in InDesign.

The problem I am having, is I commonly design tradeshow postcards for a client. The front of the postcard is always portrait, and the back is always landscape. Naturally, this is a pain to design having one sideways.

Is there a way to work on the pages in landscape and portrait? My current workflow involves exporting the proof via PDF, opening in Acrobat Professional, and rotating the cover, as I design the project in landscape. This way at least I can preview what it looks like, and the client doesn't have to kill their neck like me!

Adobe just seems so rediculous to me that they don't include a feature where you can simply rotate the page for viewing. In Acrobat Professional I simply select "document> rotate page" and It's done... and the fact that my PDF by default opens in Acrobat and not Professional when you select the "view PDF after creating" checkmark box when exporting the PDF makes it more of a pain.. If I bought the entire Suite to get Acrobat Pro why not let me utilize the program in my workflow with the other programs in the Suite???

you could make the page size bigger than the postcard and manually draw crop marks.

Cylon

If you are on Windows, you can redirect the version of Acrobat that the newly created PDF automatically opens in. Just go to Windows Explorer, and click once on any PDF file to select it, then hold down Shift and right click on the PDF file again. This will open a context menu that includes 'Open With'. Select that option then choose Acrobat from the list provided, ensuring that you check the 'always open this type of file with' box.

My problem was landscape table pages in a portrait book. Eventually solved it by putting a frame on the page which was to be landscape to the size of the portrait text area, noting the width and height dimensions, and then swapping them over in the control panel (ie making the width the height dimension, and the height the width) so that the frame was wider than the page, sticking out into the pasteboard. I then made up the table in the normal way and then finally rotated the frame back into place.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks for the replies guys.

I agree it seems an oversight on Adobe's part not to include this functionality as it's a fairly common situation that I'm sure a number of users face.

I followed the 2 InDesign file option. One in potrait and the other in landscape. I then simply copied the landscape pages into the potrait document after editing was complete, before rotating and aligning them. Not the most elegant solution I admit but at least it works.

Here's hoping this oversight is corrected in future versions.

Cheers

John

While it would be helpful for Adobe to include a feature so that you can design alternating page orientations, this is not necessarily an oversight that needs correcting. This is how page layout applications have behaved since their advent.

How would a print service provider know how to print your piece if you had it all wiggly in your InDesign layout? This is why we are confined to a single page orientation in our layouts for now. InDesign's primary output is for the print service provider. If you need to proof with PDF, use Acrobat to juggle page orientation.

If you think InDesign should have a new feature, tell it to Adobe.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Too many people think ID should behave like Word - until they get to the things Word simply cannot do. If you want to mix landcape and portrait in the one document, lay it out in Word.

Personally, I have fopund JohnHodgson's method works best. Just lay out your landscape page as a portrait, hanging over the edge onto the paste board and when you have completed it, rotate it into postion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back