Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

portmapper problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elminster

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
CA
Hi, I have the strangest problem. I’ve work with windows since Win95 and have never encounter this problem before. I’m posting my question here in the hope that some of you did.

I have am trying to map a network drive on WinMe. In the path, if I refer the destination by name “ex:MyServer”, I’ve got no problem. On the other hand, if I refer to it by IP, I get this message: The following error occurred while trying to connect T: to F. The portmapper is not responding.

Does any of you have a solution for that? I search the MS KB and the the Tek-Tips forums, without any luck.

Thanks
-Simon

Elminster;

I've got a network that I set up with a WindowsNT server and Windows98 and Windows95 workstations.

On the server, files or folder are SHARED using a name that is then passed to the workstations.

On each of the workstations, we MAP to the name specified in the SHARE on the server. Since there are several folders on the server that are mapped by each workstation, I see no way that the IP address of anything could be used in the MAP statement.

In other words, if on the serverr I SHARE a folder a folder with the name of SMITH as MyFolder, then on the workstations, I must MAP MyFolder to a drive letter.

This works for me, but I'm sure that different setup schemes will need different solutions and I'm only compotent in the one I use.

Good Luck
Chris C.

let say you have 2 server:

SERVER1 : IP:192.168.1.100
SERVER2 : IP:192.168.1.101

on SERVER1 I have a folder that I want to share(MyFolder)

so the map path on the workstation should look like \\SERVER1\MyFolder

You can also map by IP where it would look more like : \\102.168.1.100\MyFolder

I've done it more than once ... i know it work. ... my only problem, I don’t know why it doesn’t work here?
I've done it more than once ... i know it work. ... my only problem, i dont know why it doesnt work here?

Please dont mind the previus post.

let say you have 2 server:

SERVER1 : IP:192.168.1.100
SERVER2 : IP:192.168.1.101

on SERVER1 I have a folder that I want to share(MyFolder)

so the map path on the workstation should look like \\SERVER1\MyFolder

You can also map by IP where it would look more like : \\192.168.1.100\MyFolder

I've done it more than once ... i know it work. ... my only problem, I don’t know why it doesn’t work here?

Elminster;

I've gone over to the data center and checked and my MAP does include the server name and I had obviously forgotten since it's been many months since I've been back to the MAP statement.

I'm still going to monitor your thread because I'd like to be ready for when the same problem gets me.

Thanks
Chris C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back