Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portable Wikis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
(I had no idea where to post this...)

Rather than screw around with trying to sync favorites across multiple browsers and machines, I've tried to maintain a single portable web page with links to various frequently used sites and resources. It's been a pain to maintain however.

I recently ran across Wiki on a Stick and TiddlyWiki.

Anyone have experience with these? Anyone have a preference and why? Which one is the easiest to use for the impatient lazy man?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Unfortunately it's been pretty lonely in here. ;-) Looks like we're on our own. I'll post back after I've had a chance to try one or both.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Another product you might take a look at that I *LOVE* is (formerly Foxmarks).

It's a little addin that keeps all of your bookmarks and passwords synchronized between machines.

In short, it rocks.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I've looked at at stuff like that but it has to be installed. I'm trying to work totally portable.

Also, in the web page, I put the link along with a description and some notes about each site. That also gives me the option of giving a copy of the page to someone else for their own use.

Jeff

I've looked at at stuff like that but it has to be installed.

Not entirely true... you can install it on a machine (like your home machine, or main work machine) then go to the website and log in to access your bookmarks if you are on a "public" computer, such as an Internet Cafe (or a computer you cannot install the small add-in on).

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Missed that part. I'll look at it again. I may have a different use for something like that.

Jeff

Does it need to be something you can carry around with you?

If web-based service would work you might like
They have a firefox add-in that is fantastic, or you can just log into the delicious site and see all your bookmarks there.

[small]----signature below----[/small]
The author of the monograph, a native of Schenectady, New York, was said by some to have had the highest I.Q. of all the war criminals who were made to face a death by hanging. So it goes.

My Crummy Web Page

I'll have to give those a try, thanks for the links. I currently keep my own 'knowledgebase' wiki (which is mostly links to other resources) on my website, but there are occasions when internet access might not be available when working on a client/customer system. One of the nice features about a full-fledged wiki is the search capabilities. Wiki on a Stick mentions 'tags', but not search. The TiddlyWiki pages do indcate that it's searchable, but I wonder how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back