Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portability Issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetambarineman

Technical User
Feb 29, 2000
GB
Hello all,

im wondering what could possibly be the reasons for my VB6 enterprise version project not working on a network!!

The code was developed and compiled on a stand-alone pc. The compiled version was then taken and placed locally onto the hard drive of a networked machine(im assuming some VB files are taken off the network)
By the way i realise that with VB6 you cant run VB over a network - but we managed a chewing gum fix!!!!!)
Anyway the kinds of problems that are happening are:

Non-function of the error handler - it doesnt trap the error!!

Command buttons sometimes dont disable - but not in all occasions.

This is an essential project and we're getting into bother with this project crashing and not performing well with the system testers - dont u just love them!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance...

Paul....

I'd like to help you, but I need more info . . .
First off, what do you mean you can't run VB (a compiled application I'm assuming) over the NetWork . . . all of the work I've done for the past 3 years have been running VB apps across networks . . . its called DCOM. Or are you just running the application on a mapped drive? If that is the case, then the code will run in the client PC's memory.
Can you better describe your architecture? For example . . . is this a distributed application? Is it a large monolithic app that resides on the server? If so, how do users start it? How was it installed (bascially, what steps did you take to port it from your single machine development platform to the network?)
Finally, can you be more descriptive with your errors? Give me some more info, and I'll see if I can offer a suggestion to you.
- Jeff Marler
(please note, that the page is under construction)

Thanks for your reply.

The compiled version is being run on a local drive (the c drive of my machine) - which is also networked- but all the required files are held on the c drive - the relevant ocx's etc. The files size is roughly 350kb - a smallish application which isnt going to be doing any real number crunnching but required all the same. I havent produced a setup routine - instead ive just copied all of the relevant files across from the stand-alone machine to this networked machine (the local drive) then i copied the exe file across. Ive recompiled and some of the errors have gone away-for instance the command buttons are now disabling but the error handler just isnt functioning and im getting ordinary run-time error dialog boxes.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Ive just re-read your reply - i didnt mean that you cant run vb exes over a network - i actually mean the VB6 application itself-it cant be shared over a network. Sorry for the bad explanation..

Paul

"i didnt mean that you cant run vb exes over a network - i actually mean the VB6 application itself-it cant be shared over a network."

So, if I understand you correctly, you were trying to run the VB6 IDE across the nework? No, that doesn't always work that well. If you still mean you compiled VB application, then I would still have to disagree with you. If you are trying to have all of the users us a common VB6 compiled application (NOT the IDE), then it can be shared on a NetWork drive as long as all of the clients have the correct dependancies installed and properly registered. At my last job, we have several hundred users using a common EXE (not the IDE) on a mapped drive with no problem - we just had to make sure that the users ran a setup program first (and only once).

I havent produced a setup routine - instead ive just copied all of the relevant files across from the stand-alone machine to this networked machine (the local drive) then i copied the exe file across. Ive recompiled and some of the errors have gone away

Just copying files over to the new machine for your application will not work . . . most of the VB6 dependancy files are COM objects and need to be properly registered on the machine. This is why it worked when you recompiled the code . . . compiling COM objects will update the registry automatically. You should create a setup program - either write your own or use the package/deployment wizard.
- Jeff Marler
(please note, that the page is under construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back