Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
Can anyone tell me the exact ports I need to allow through my firewall to run MSN and netmeeting successfully?

Need to set up a web conference from inside the building to anyone generally on the Internet. Currently MSN fails telling me I am not on the Internet.

Can ya ping anyone outside?

Consider getting a network analyzer software on your system (you really should have one handy for all your troubleshooting and firewall testing)... even a demo version would probably suffice in this case...

Capture packets to and from your workstation as you watch the boot sequence... check out where it fails...

>=1024 dynamic, 1503 TCP
>=1024 dyanmic UDP

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

type netstat on ur comp to view the port usage
after connecting to each of these services
you can use them then
Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit

Sometimes the ISP is to blame, as they might have 'Port Fowarding' disabled at the local exchange for security reasons, and if so, MSN, ICQ, Online Gaming etc... will fail.
Check with your ISP if they have 'Port Fowarding' enabled or not.

I have now successfully got MSN working and from inside the company can send netmeeting video streams out but cannot receive video streams into the company (same with audio).

Looks like my firewall is blocking them unless someone can think of another reason - my ISP says there are no blocks on my line for any ports (which is worrying in itself).

I had a similar problem with ICQPhone, people could hear me, but, I couldn't hear them, so I went to the ICQ options and change the port, still using the same ICQ server but in a different port, and that solved the problem.
Since I'm not familiar with MSN software, I don't know if you have that same possibility or not, but still believe it has something to do with the ports beeing used.

NightWatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back