Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

netlife

ISP
Aug 28, 2002
SG

Hi All,

I have a cisco 4006 switch to which i have connected a 1920 switch.The 1920 switch is connected to 4006 switch via
2/47 i.e. normal switch port (Not via uplink port)
I enabled port security on module 2. After enabling port security on 4006 switch,port 2/47 was disabled (shutdown). What would be the reason??? Pls help.

Thanx

Hi netlife,

Port security will allow only one device to operate on a port. It looks at the source MAC address of the packets coming in the port and, if they are not the same as the first packet it saw on that port (or you can give it a specific MAC addres yourself via the config) it thinks that someone has unplugged the device that was there and put a new device on instead, so it figures that there's a security breach and shuts down the port.

Since you've put the 1920 on, the 4006 starts to see multiple MACs on port 2/47 and shuts it down. That's completey normal behaviour and proves the port security is working.

You'll just have to remove port security on 2/47 and it'll work just fine after that.

Hope that helps,
Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back