Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Scan on PIX? Can you or does the pix hide open ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkraut

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
US
For security reasons, can the pix hide an open port on a 515? i.e., we want to open port 1352 on our external (Internet) interface and forward to an internal server but we do not want someone to be able to perform an external port scan on our pix and tell that this port is open?

I'm assuming you are using the lotus notes client.

If that's the case I believe notes is a secure environment but if that's not good enough have you considered the cisco vpn client?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

We're currently using the Cisco VPN client but we're attempting to eliminate it by using notes via the net and Novell ifolder / ZEN for file access needs. From my testing, it appears that the PIX does not advertise open ports even when they're open. We currently have several ports on the outside interface being forwarded to internal servers and a port scan against the PIX revealed a big bagel! :)

Thx. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back