Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Openend But Cant Appear in netstat -a

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtomysql

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
MY
Dear All,
I have open port 5700 on a pc using by using the advanced settings of local area connection properties and then the windows firewall. The problem when i run netstat -a it doesnt appear in that list. I have no anti virus install in that pc. So what is the cause the port not appearing? Thanks.

other than the build in firewall, do you have any other security related (other firewalls, antimalware etc.) apps installed?

did you follow the correct procedure to open the ports?

How to manually open ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Dear Ben,
I have again done it by first removing and follow the steps in this link So once I open by right it should show in the netstat -a but it is not showing at all locally in command prompt using netstat -a. Thanks.

Even though you've allowed the firewall to pass traffic for that port, it won't appear in netstat output unless something is actually listening on that port. What software program do you have using that port?

Dear Smah,
Actually I am using is it for ultra vnc. The problem here is that it have been working well all this while and suddenly it is not working ready. So I dont know wat caused it ? Thanks.

Dear Ben,
In that network I have used 5900 for another pc with ultra vnc too. So I used 5700 for this pc. I have tried this site grc and also can you see.com. All are showing that my 5700 is not working. So any other way I can check or not where my port is open by not depending on the internet mechanism. Thanks.

If you are having VNC or Remote Access problems have a look at this forum.

Are you behind a firewalled router, could that be interfering with any results your are seeing from or even ultra vnc?

Have you tried "Safe Mode with Networking" to see if there is any difference there with any of the tests or applications you are trying to run?

VNC + LinkSys + IP
thread779-1255979

Dear Linney,
I have done accordingly one pc is using 5900, one is 5500 and one is 5700. Now both the rest working fine except for the one with 5700. So I suspect something is wrong with this machine because my router can forward well for both of them. Can you guide me how to do safe mode with networking? Thanks.

It is entered via pressing the F8 at bootup and selecting that option from the screen.

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Not every bit of Networking will work in "Safe Mode with Networking", it just depends on whether Windows loads drivers that you require, basic Networking (surfing etc.) does work, so it is a sort of an experiment if you like.

On the problem machine, are there any clues coming from the Event Viewer?

Do you see your current faults if you log on in Normal Mode as someone else?

Have you tried the Winsock fix as per this FAQ?
WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with VNC.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Dear Linney,
I really appreciate all your methods. But I think I have to take your last resort for reinstall? I dont know what might have gone wrong till now? Thanks.

If everything else is working correctly, I'd just remove & reinstall your VNC server software. If you don't see it listening on some port (any port) than it's probably not listening properly.

Dear Smah,
Ok good idea. I will try to remove and reinstall my vnc software. How to see if my vnc listening to any port? How to perform that? I mean a port is open but not listening can we still check on those port? Because I have openend 5700 so need to verify is open or not?

As I mentioned earlier - even if you turn off your firewall (in other words all ports unblocked), they will not show in the netstat output and are not truly "open" unless some program is using them. More specifically, there are 65535 TCP & UDP ports on your system, even with the firewall off, netstat does not give you a list of all of these. They are only really 'open' if some software is using (listening, sending, recieving) data on them.

Dear Smah,
So in this case is difficult to determine that the opened port of 5700 is working or not just by using any method right? For your information I have tried uninstall and reinstall vnc still the problem is the same. I dont know wat else to do ready? Thanks for all your help.

Dear Liney,
Recently I have reformatted my whole pc even twice I tried to open the port through normal method of adding the execption but I cant access my port. So what wrong can happened possible can it be a hardware problem? Thanks.

Have you tried another port? e.g. 5850 or 5750 etc...

since you reformatted, is the PC in question correctly integrated into the network, e.g. IP Range, Workgroup or Domain...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I cant access my port", is that a reference to you being unable to configure it via any firewall setting, or are you saying you have a program that you are running that cannot access this port?

I am not a hardware man, and can only guess as to what hardware might even possibly be causing problems (if it actually was a hardware problem), and my guess would be the actual Network Card.

Dear Linney and bagbigben,
I have tried to used other ports like 5800,5750,5900,3390 etc all doesnt work. So for your information my pc is fully working with the internet connection. So if the pc works with internection means the port 80 is working rite? So my surprise now is that this is a clean pc with no other softwares. So what else can be wrong in that pc? I have open the port on my modem and made the port forwarding. I have tried with my another pc it works well when I check for the port openings? So can anybody tell me what is wrong with this particular pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back