Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port numbers for Mapping a network Drive 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyvs

Programmer
May 20, 2001
CA
I have a storage drive at my office network that my PC maps a network drive to without any problems. I want to map to the drive from home, which is no problem if I DMZ our Dlink Firewall to the storage drive. I would like to only open the required ports, but I can't find out which ones they are. I have tried the standard ones "21, 80, 443" but can not conect unless I enable DMZ. Does anyone know which ports or range of ports I need to open to connect from home??

Mapping a drive over the raw internet is a very big security issue. You really should do this over a VPN connection, which would eliminate the need to open additional ports.

If you really must, then TCP 135, 139 and 445 and UDP 137 will need to be opened.

I agree - Do not open the Windows File Sharing & NetBios ports to the internet!

Points well taken.. The Storage device is password secured but I wasn't thinking of all the other PC's across our LAN that might have Windows file sharing open. and passwords are easily hacked with this setup. VPN is the way to go.. Sometimes the obvious eludes me...

Thanks for the responses..

Never good to let a port scaner see open ports, but if your routers Nat security is working when you port forward and port it is forwared to only the one IP address on the lan so the outher PC's should not be at risk. A bigger problem could be depending on your internet type connction, a packet sniffer could get your password to that drive or the data you are donwloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back