Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Monitoring Problem- How to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenstrat

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
I am trying to monitor interface fastethernet 0/10 on a cisco 295c switch. I've run the following commands:

monitor session 1 source interface fa0/10
monitor session 1 destination interface fa0/7

I am trying to make all traffic going to and from fa0/10 to be sent to fa0/7 to monitor with ethereal. When I enable monitoring on source fa0/7 however, I lose network access on port 7 and can no longer get a dhcp address or connect through the network. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

have just changed it to:

monitor session 1 source interface fa0/10 tx

same result

maybe you can answer my question or maybe it is the same question you have.

I need port6 to read all the data leaving port 1 only?

Port 1 would be source?

Port 6 would be the destination?

Port 1 would be source, port 6 would be destination

Would you know what Ingress and egress is. I need port 6 to read the out going data of port 1.

fenstrat,

Keep these chracteristics in mind when configuring the Destination port.

* The port does not transmit any traffic except that required for the SPAN session.

Destination Port

Each local SPAN session or RSPAN destination session must have a destination port (also called a monitoring port) that receives a copy of traffic from the source ports and VLANs.

The destination port has these characteristics:

* It must reside on the same switch as the source port (for a local SPAN session).
* It can be any Ethernet physical port.
* It can participate in only one SPAN session at a time (a destination port in one SPAN session cannot be a destination port for a second SPAN session).
* It cannot be a source port or a reflector port.
* It cannot be an EtherChannel group or a VLAN.
* It can be a physical port that is assigned to an EtherChannel group, even if the EtherChannel group has been specified as a SPAN source. The port is removed from the group while it is configured as a SPAN destination port.
* The port does not transmit any traffic except that required for the SPAN session.
* If ingress traffic forwarding is enabled for a network security device, the destination port forwards traffic at Layer 2.
* It does not participate in spanning tree while the SPAN session is active.
* When it is a destination port, it does not participate in any of the Layer 2 protocols (STP, VTP, CDP, DTP, PagP, or LACP).
* A destination port that belongs to a source VLAN of any SPAN session is excluded from the source list and is not monitored.
* No address learning occurs on the destination port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back