Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps007

Technical User
May 1, 2012
GB
I have been asked to configure port mirroring on this switch for Call recording on a hosted telephone system. My IT knowledge is limited so please be gentle.

I have a port on the Broadband/Phone router connected to a Netgear switch for phones only and another port on the router connected to a Zyxel switch used for PCs/internet. This works fine. I had to separate the switches as I believe that the mirroring would pull data traffic from the PCs and clog up the call recording info etc.

On my Netgear switch the ports in use are:

P1. Link to the main router

P2. Phone

P3. Phone

P4. Phone

P5. Phone

P6. Phone

P7. Call Recording PC

Am i correct by configuring the port mirroring as follows:

Source Port: G1
Destination Port: G7
Session Mode: Enable
Direction: TX & RX
Mirroring Port: Mirror

Any help appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3544ada2-5f10-4913-bbfb-f92b684a79e3&file=Port_Mirroring1.PNG
If all you want to capture is RTP streams that traverse the main router then you just need to capture the RX & TX of port 1 and mirror it to port 7. Typically a call recorder Server/PC would have at least two NICs - one for its IO and one dedicated to capturing packets. I am not sure whether the netgear will accept packets on the mirror port but you'd probably want to dedicate a port anyway as it will capture its own IO traffic which you are not interested in.
If you need to capture P2P calls between phones connected to the switch then you'll need to do some more mirroring as is this case RTP streams won't typically flow through the main router to the PABX (although its possible depending on the configuration of the phone system).

HTH
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back