Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Mirroring problem- Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonks

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I am trying to get port mirroring on my Nortel 450 stack. (5 switches)

I patch my IDS server in unit 2 port 2 and i can can ping the network. I want to mirror unit 2 port 5 on to the iDS server.

As soon as I enable the port mirroring i lose the network connection on the IDS server. When i disable the port mirroring i get my network connection back.

Can you help as i need to monitor this port for intruder detection software.

I am running FW:1.0.1.1 SW v1.0.1.15 ISVN:1

Sorry i forgot to tell you. The base unit is a buisness policy switch 2000

Hi I cant find my booket on 450T's but I would expect you to loose your network connection when port mirroring is enabled on that port. I am fairly sure this is what is supposed to happen as it disables incomming packets to the destination port.

Bob ^^

Can anyone tell me the exact config of port mirroing?
I want mirror port 1, and my sniffer is plugged into port 2

thanks

Telnet in, go to Switch Configuration, Port mirror config

Monitor Mode <-> Port X

Monitor Unit Port (Sniffer) 1/2

Unit/Port X: 1/1

Change to Enable

You should see data. If you lost connections in the past I'm assuming you mirrored in the reverse direction.

John

Let me know if you have questions

When sniffing a network using sniffer pro (laptop edition) you will always lose your connection to the network unless you have 2 network cards in the laptop.
Using Sniffer distributed allows you to remain connected to the network. This is because it has 2 network cards, 1 setup as a dedicated monitor port, the other as a standard network connection, which allows you to manage the box while sniffing.

JohnJohn is correct with his explanation of mirroring for a nortel switch. Its very easy to get them the wrong way around so be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back