Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port mirror on Passport 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobauskas

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
BR
Hello friends,

How do I do a port mirror on passport 8600 ?

Thanks a lot,

Jacobauskas

open device manager,

From the main menu, go to EDIT

choose Diagnostics under diagnostics choose the tab "portmirror"

tick enable option and choose the ports

Mirror port is the port where your sniffer PC is connected.

Mirrored port is the ports on which you want to monitor the traffic.

Tahnks a lot Ramco,

But i have one question.
I possess 3 baystack 450 in different places of the net.
baystack A, B and C.
Would it be possible to do with what the port 1 of the baystack A it monitors the port 20 of the baystack B ?
They are connected saw port trunk.

Thanks

No. You can only mirror what is on the 450 or what is casscaded together, Not across the LAN.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

Friends,

Thanks.
The last question.
I am not getting to program port mirror in the baystack for the device manager.
I only get to program road console.
My baystack is in the version of SW 3.1.0.22 FW 1.47 and I am using the device manager goes windows in the version 5.5.2.0.
I would like to program through device manager.

Any help ?

Thanks

Jacobauskas

The only way I have found that I can mirror a port on a 450 is to telnet or console to the 450. Once in look under switch configuration.There you will see port mirroring configuration.
Again, far as I know you cannot setport mirroring on a 450 through Device Manager. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

Thanks.
About mirror on passport.
I configured a port mirror in the passport and unhappily I didn't obtain what wanted.
I configured in the following way:
mirrored port 1/8
mirroring port 1/7
mode both
Enable: True
In the port 1/8 the máquinha 192.168.0.1 exists
In the port 1/7 my machine 10.3.16.55 exists
I began a ping in the máquinha 192.168.0.1 for the destiny 192.168.128.2
In my machine port 1/7 I received only the package of the 192.168.0.1 for 192.168.128.2 (ICMP:echo). I am not receiving the echo replay that is the package of 192.168.128.2 for 192.168.0.1 I am sure that the replay is happening because the ping is with success in the machine 192.168.0.1
I am using the version 3.2.1.0 in Passport.
Does some exist bug?

On the 8600 in port mirroring you will only see incoming traffic to that port unless that blade model number ends ina 'E'. I think the 'E' cards are the only cards that you con get now but if your 8600 is a year or older you may have received an early model blade.
Hope this helps! My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

at the cli do the following

config diag enable true
config diag mirror-by-port 10 create in-port card/port out-port card/port

in-port ---- the port to be monitored (mirrorred)
out-port ---- the port to which traffic of in-port needs to be sent.

ZachBenj

How do I check the blade number ?
Do you have some doccumentation that explain this problem ?
If my card is not "E" model, have I another way to run the port mirroring to see all packtes in that port(TX and RX )?

My problem is:

In the configuration of the port mirror for the device manager I possess a configuration way where I can choose TX, RX, or BOTH.
I imagine that to monitor the whole traffic in that port should configure both.
Former.:
1/5 - 10.3.16.99 (port mirrored)
1/7 - 10.3.16.55 (port mirroring)
1/6 - 10.3.16.92
Mode-BOTH

I begin a ping of the host 10.3.16.99 for 10.3.16.92.
In the port 1/5 that is the machine 10.3.16.55 I only get to see the departure of the package 10.3.16.99 ECHO for 10.3.16.92.
ECHO REPLAY I am not receiving.
PINHG is with success.

Thanks

Jacobauskas

The 48 port blade in our 8600 is 8648TX. Since there is no E on the end it is not an Enhanced blade(The way Nortel described it to us). Therefore it only will see traffic coming into it on a port mirror.
This is all from a telephone conversation we had with Nortel. Since the blades are working they were not willing to swap or RMA.

Yes those selection are there but it can only see incoming traffic.
Our work around has been to put what we want to Sniff on a 450(or a hub) and mirror there or mirror on the 450 side of the uplink of a closet. It kinda made our distributed sniffers useless but that is what we are doing to get around it.
My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back