Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port information 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizbri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2004
US
I am looking to get an explanation of "X" port and when is it best to setup a station using an x port. Also what is a virtual port?

I'll give it a try....

x port is used when you don't have a physical port to assigned to the extension. Uses include pre-programming phones, and place holders. You could also use the extension for other purposes utilizing its coverage path. You would also use it when initially setting up IP stations. I've used them as secondary extensions... basically two extensions on 1 phone via call appearance bridging. The second extension is x ported as it does not have a physical port.

X ported stations do count toward your total station RTU's. So in effect they cost money.

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Wildcard

Thanks for the response . Are there any limitations on an extension setup as an x port (besides not having a physical end point connected)?

As far as limitations... It does count to your station RTU's (right to use). Not really.... but I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with them. Another example of usage is... It is a good way of having a "dummy" station setup... stattion type, button mapping, COR, COS etc... So you can duplicate the "dummy" extension. Sure you could do this off somebodies extension... however has it been changed or not since it was first setup etc...

Thanks,

Wildcard

If you are not planning to have an endpoint, the virtual extension may be the way to go. You can still use coverage path with them, and they do not affect RTU.

Thank you all. This forum is really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back