Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Forwarding Headache with MiFi, #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunn317

Programmer
Jan 19, 2012
US
I am wondering if anyone has *ever* successfully configured Port Forwarding on the Verizon MiFi wireless cellular modem/router? I have a rather unique configuration, which is exactly the same configuration as the user MoLaker in the thread thread581-1635947. However, that thread was never finalized with a solution, if one was ever reached. But it sounded like he was very close to getting there.

Unfortunately, that thread is closed so I couldn't ask. I know how to configure port fowarding in general, so this isn't the question. It's specific to the MiFi and if it can be done or not? If so, then I can bring in the rest of my configuration with a DD-WRT firmware loaded ASUS RT-N16 router setup in "Repeater" mode, which connects to the MiFI and allows all of my client wired and wireless computers to share the broadband internet connection of the MiFi.

Port forwarding through all this seems pretty straightforward, but I just can't get anything to work! Can it be done? Or does Verizon block it? It does seem that in this day in age, port forwarding should be a rather common thing to allow users to interact with their homes software via their mobile phones...

Thanks,

I remember reading through the older posting and was curious if anyone had ever talked with Verizon about it? My boss has a MiFi here as well and we had a different issue which was resolved. I know after you get past the entry level techs, they seemed somewhat knowledgeable.

Maybe by now they have a firmware upgrade to allow more functionality. Im fairly sure the MiFi wasnt really designed to act in this way as its a fairly simplistic modem/router but maybe they have updated it.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Thanks, I checked out the PortForward.com info for the MiFi 4082 (that one shows Spring images) and that Port Forwarding page has a "Custom Applications" section which is nice to see. However, my 2200 (through Verizon) does not have that...bummer.

But I am at or near my contract end date so I will be upgrading shortly.

Interesting, that thread I previously mentioned (thread581-1635947), MoLaker still has his webserver running in the same configuration as was stated in that thread. So somehow he is successfully able to forward port 80. I've tried, but haven't had success. But that gives me hope to keep messing around.

Since I have two routers ahead of my machine I need to forward to, it makes it a bit more confusing and harder to track. Can someone tell me if I have the idea right?

Router #1 MiFi with WAN connection with address 192.168.1.1. MiFi gives address of 192.168.1.3 to #2 router. I port forward port 80 to 192.168.1.3.

Router #2 DD-WRT router connected with address 192.168.2.1 (it's WAN connection shows as 192.168.1.3). I setup it's port forwarding page to forward port 80 to the machine I desire (192.168.2.106).

This should get the data to the machine, correct?!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back