Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port already open error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
How can I fix the Port already open error, when trying to add a new modem, or at least query the modem?

Theoretically, the only reason that you would receive that error is when the port is actually already open. Are you receiving this in code that you are developing? Or are you getting the error using code that was developed prior to XP on an XP system?

Much of the code that I wrote prior to XP will not properly release the COM port in XP, and you will receive this error. I had a friend write me a new library using the DCB (based on a Microsoft article that explained why the MSComm control was flawed and needed to be replaced in .NET). It is a real pain, but it looks like I will be rewriting all of that old, functioning code.

pansophic

I haven't written any code, I am just a simple man.

you would more than likely need to add a new comm port as well as the new modem. it sounds like you are installing a modem that is on the last comm port. if not, explain more please.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

do u have any other programs that might use that port (fax software etc)? they may also cause that error

The port is open because a device or program has opened it. This could be another modem or a program that is trying to check for upgrades. Disable all auto update programs, and delete all modems and then reinstall. If this doesn't work you could try to remove DUN and reinstall it.

Don't know if it will help, not sure of the situation. But most users we have, have to remove their modem and reinstall it if they get that error during diagnostics. I'm not sure by what you say whether you actually have the modem installed or not. It also could mean you need a new modem.
Ian
:)

I have a similar problem with a PCI AMIGO 536epV.92 modem with Intel chip set useing Win 98SE, 900mhz, 630 mb RAM. The modem works fine as long as I'm connected. When the line is released, the Dialup Connection Panel says "Could not detect modem. It may be in use., etc. The Modem Properties panel says, Open Comm, Couldn't open port. I must reboot to bring up the modem Dial Connection again.
The modem setup software selects a virtual port 3 as the serial com port. I have made port 2 inactive in the bios setup, so only serial port 1 and LPT1 shows in the system control panel. I have installed the modem by removing the modem card, re booting the system, then reinstalling the card and letting the system search and install the software when the card is detected. The AT string "AT+MS+V90,0 is being used to make the modem .90v as my ISP does not support .92v. My only clue is that possibly Netscape Commuicator is holding the port open, but it doesn't show up in programs that are still open when using CTR+ALT+DEL. Any insight would be appreciated

Is rnaapp listed when you hit ctrl+alt+del? More than likely it is. If so,

1. Make sure that no other programs are using your modem. Fax software, Supervoice, etc...

2. Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and end task RNAAPP. Reboot machine. Try doing diags on the modem, if the diags come up without a port already open error, it should be fine.

3. Uninstall and Reinstall connectoid, the network settings, pwl files, and DUN.

4. Uninstall and Reinstall modem if it persists.

5. Search for RNAAPP in the windows registry and remove any instances.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Thanks for all the insight. The problem is fixed! I had a Netscape add-on called fast connect which did not show up on the ctrl-alt-del screen. I used msconfig/startup and eliminated all but the firewall and virus protect. The problem went away. I then re activated each item until I found the one. Thanks for solving a annoying proble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back