Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port 25 Blocked 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkAndy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2005
ZA
Hi All
Recently installed exch' 2003, on server 2003 std'.

I cannot receive external mail and when trying to telnet into the server on port 25 I get "connection closed" everytime. I have seen a post on this in this forum but there don't seem to be any replies. thread955-1059772

There are no firewalls in place, telnet to 110 works a treat, Have recently uninstalled all antivirus, still no luck.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

have you looked at access permissions in the SMTP Virtual Server properties?

Don't forget to lock down relay, though.

You may also need to speak with your ISP. Many will disable incoming port 25 traffic if you don't have business grade service.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Can you telnet locally to the server over 25? If you can, Mark's recommendation is probably correct. If you can't there are other issues at play.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks for your replies

We are migrating from a mercury system to Exchange. Port 25 is working on the server servicing mercury. and the ISP is not blocking it.

I cannot telnet locally, but can telnet to the mercury server..

Permisions are set OK (integrated windows authentication) and relay is turned off.

Don't you need anonymous access configured to allow non-authenticated SMTP connections?

Thanks nickpark

I have tried both authentication methods and combined the two, still no luck.

I'm currently thinking about a re-install. good idea or bad idea??

yikes. Well, if you have Access->Connection control set to "All except the list below" with a blank list, and the smtp service is running then i have no idea.
Note: you often need to restart the smtp server after config changes.

You are telnetting to the ip address specified in the general tab in the smtp virtual server arent you? not localhost or something.

did you build the server with a disk that included Windows 2003 Server SP1, if so the windows firewall will be on

Hi All
Thanks for all your assistance on this... I have to admit that when I found the error I did the ostrich thing and buried my head for awhile..
When we originally setup the server we installed with a specific IP. on going live we discovered that this would not be suitable, so the IP was changed. This change was not carried through to the IIS smtp settings. Once this was sorted all was well.
Yep lesson learned.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back