Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

port 137 - 139 blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilebalar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
hi,

i have a windows nt4 server behind a router which blocked port 137 - 139 recently. now we can create a pptp vpn connection but can't get to any resource on the network remotely. is there any to work around this? netbios over tcp/ip is disabled at the server and client. i tried mapping drive to the internal ip 192.x.x.x instead of the server's ip. but nothing works. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

What happened when you tried to map the drive? Can you ping it?

the error when i try to map drive is 'network path not found', i can ping its ip and the 192.x.x.x ip.

M$ requires netbios to communicate among other M$ machies. Enable netbios over tcp/ip

netbios won't work if 137 - 139 are blocked, right?

yes,
I believe the specific ports are 135 and 139. It could be also 137. Netbios communicates throught these ports.

so with 137 - 139 blocked. i can't use netbios over tcp/ip. what else can i do the get the ip resolved??? can i use a host file? or is there anyway to direct all incoming traffic to the server via port 1723 ONLY? can i do something on my router to forward all traffic to the server's port 1723?

thanks.

bilebalar,

Can you temporarily enable 137 and 139 to see if you still have the problem. Are the ports being blocked at the router or elsewhere? If you issue a 'netstat -na' in a command prompt do you see 137 or 139 listening?

v/r,

CharlieU

charlieu,

i have no control over unblocking 137-139. but i can tell you that our vpn works with 137-139 unblocked because the person who blocked these ports 'accidentally' unblocked them for a short while and my vpn got through...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back