Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Porblems with MSDE on domain controler

Status
Not open for further replies.

PawelTru

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
US
I have a problem with a MSDE installation. The MSDE was installed on the Domain controler computer correctly. I am able to log in from command prompt by typing the following statements:
osql -S SERVER -E
or
osql -S SERVER -U sa

SERVER is the name of the Machine
I also created database.

If I try to login to the database by using the following statements:
osql -S SERVER -d COMP -E
or
osql -S SERVER -d COMP -E

I get an error "Cannot open database requested in login 'COMP'. Login fails.

How can I fix this.

Thank You,

Pawel

Sounds like to me that your SQL Server agent is running under a local system account and not a domain user account. Even though it is on a domain controller doesn't mean that the local system or admin accounts have domain access. Create a Domain user with the right that SQL server will need and use that to run the services.

I have one more question.
What are the required settings for the user account to be able to access the SQL DB in a domain environment. The SQL Server is installed on Primary Domain Controler. Also I don't want to give the user admin privilages since it will open potential security hole.

Thanks

The account SQL server runs on is pretty safe. Make a domain account, give that domain account admin access to the local machine (from what it sounds like you have it running as local admin already so there will be no new security threat there) and give that domain account access to any resource it needs just like any other user. IE access to fileshares if needed, an exchange account if you want to use the email facilities in SQL Server.

The account should not be a domain admin account though. It is easiest just to give local admin rights though so SQL server can do its job fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back