Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Popup Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
US
Can someone lead me in the right direction for making popup chat bubbles in my video like in the show Blind Date, or the old MTV show PopUp Video? Where you can have popup chat boxes over the people's heads, like thoughts. Like a comic book.

This is not an easy proposition. I think I would use Powerpoint to make the bubbles with text in them. You can then save them individually as JPGs and import them into Premiere. Now put them in a video track above your desired picture, using the motion settings to size and place them, and transparency to put them on top of the Video 1 track.

FredMastro,

I would do this using Photoshop, which can export PCT files (which support alpha channels).

Make your bubble and its contents in the middle of, say, a 1440 x 960 image. Surround it with an alpha channel. Save it as "Bubble01.pct"

Import Bubble.pct into Premiere. Set the image such that the alpha channel is used as transparency: Video >> Transparency >> Alpha Channel

Use Filter >> Image Pan or Video >> Motion to place your bubble where you want it.

If you want it to "bounce" like the ones on Blind Date, then constantly wobble the vertical dimension back and forth by, say, five or ten pixels.

You can make it swoop in and swoop out using similar machinations.

Add that "bloop" sound and you're in business!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Thanks EdwardMartinIII, I'll give that a try! lol I'm gonna find that bloop sound hehe.

Hey there. Im new at Premiere and I was wondering what the alpha channel is.

Thanks

Alpha channel is a channel in a still image that defines a certain quality about an image. In an RGB image, for example, there's a Red channel, a Green channel, and a Blue channel. Then, you can add an additional channel called an alpha channel.

You can tell Premiere to use the alpha channel of a still image to determine what parts are transparent and what parts aren't.

Alpha channels are only on stills -- not video.

For example, you want a spaceship flying by the moon. You make a still image of the moon and save it as a bitmap or a pct or whatever. Bring that into Premiere and place it on Video 1. Stretch the duration for, oh, 30 seconds.

Then, in Photoshop, you make a picture of a spaceship, but you build an alpha channel around it. Save it in a file format that supports alpha channels and then import it into Premiere, placing it on Video 2, above your moon. Tell Premiere to define transparency on that image by using the alpha channel (Video >> Transparency >> Alpha Channel). Now, you can use Image Pan or Video >> Motion to move the spaceship and wherever your alpha channel was cut, you'll see the moon behind.

Spacey!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Really? That is awesome. For someone just beggining premiere, I am thoroughly impressed with it.

Thanks for the info, Ed. I can see from the other posts that you are probably one of the best, if not the best, help around here. There may be others, but I am new here and I havent seen them yet.

People like you make life alot more easy for us dumbells.

Thanks, but I'm still learning.

I'm just the mouthiest. [lol]

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back