Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Popup ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Hello, I have been having problems with popups ( who hasnt ? ) and just downloaded Adaware. I still have the ads pop up. One in fact, by a company Noadware (notice the spelling )keeps jumping on my screen every 10 mins or so.
What is the best pop up blocker ? Also, sometimes my setting in my browswer gets changed for my home page.
I set it to go to Yahoo.com, but sometimes it changes automatically to res://mshp.dll/index.html#37049

Any comments greatly appreciated....thanks

Quentin.........................

I use the Google toolbar and haven't had a popup since I installed it. I still also use AdAware & Spybot to get rid of spyware.

I use the Mozilla Web Browser instead of IE and never get pop ups.

Mozilla is indeed the solution. No cookie gets through without my knowing it, no program installs itself without my permission, no annoying Flash ad can start without my clicking on it, and no popup shows up at all.
A simple plug-in for images, and you can even block banners and whole frames if you want.

Clean out IE, by all means, so that you can still reach Windows Update and some other sites that simply will not work with anything else.
For all the rest of the Web, use Mozilla and say good-bye to all the annoyances without a second thought.

Pascal.

Opera is also another browser with built in pop up blocker. i have used it for a couple of years and love the no pop ups. you can easily control it to allow requested pop ups (which for some web based mail servers like mail.com is needed)
the free version of Opera (which btw the new version is more stable than the previous one) has a small ad bar at the top of the browser (built in to the browser window). however the ad bar is so small and out of the way that it is not noticable.

i would use either Opera, or Mozilla as alternative to the google toolbar.

david

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back