Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Populating Temp Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMac32

Programmer
Jan 25, 2002
GB
Hi all hope you can help as this has been bugging me for days.

I need to create a temporary table to then report on, the table column headers need to be the values from one table and the column content from another… it goes a bit like this.

I have a table that has among other things a QuestionAsked column and a QuestionId column. (the text in QuestionAsked can change which is why I cannot create a normal table with the headers as we will not know what they are.)

I have another table with AnswersGiven column and a QuestionId column, being the link between the two tables.

Need to populate the column headers of a temp table with the QuestionAsked and the values for each Question need to be corresponding AnswersGiven

I'm going to assume that this temporary table is a regular table for temporary use which you can assemble more-or-less manually. If you need a single, automated, one-fell-swoop query, it gets a little trickier (though it ain't impossible, of course).

Call your question lookup table QUESTION, and your answer table ANSWER:

QUESTION
(Q_ID INT
,Q_TEXT VARCHAR(50))

ANSWER
(A_ID INT
,Q_ID INT
,A_TEXT VARCHAR(500))

Notice that I'm assuming that you have textual answers that don't exceed 500 characters in length, along with a primary key of A_ID on your answer table. I also assume each answer is for one question.

Step 1: Make a shell of the table you want, which we'll call QAR (for "Question Answer Report"):
Code:
create table QAR
(A_ID int not NULL)

Step 2: Write a query to make SQL "alter table" statements to add a column for each of your question answers. Send the output to text, or a file, so you can copy it cleanly (in the next step):
Code:
select 'alter table qar add [' + a_text + '] varchar(500) null' from QUESTION

Step 3: run the batch of SQL you just created; you should have one row, and thus one new column, per question.

Step 4: write a query to make INSERT statements, using the appropriate column, for each of your answers. Again, you'll want to send the output to text, or a file.

Code:
select 
  'insert into qar (a_id, [' + q.q_text + ']) values ('a_id + ','' + a.a_text + ''')'
from
  answer a inner join question q
  on a.q_id = q.q_id

Step 5: run the hunk-o-code you just created in step 4.

If you don't care to track which ANSWER record was the source of each record in QAR, then leave off the A_ID column in QAR and elsewhere.

I think all of that will get you what you need. Again, if you need to wrap all this up into one big push-button thing, a bit more work is required.

Note that the above code was "lightly" tested only.

Jeff Prenevost
BI Consultant
Ann Arbor, MI

Thanks dGrouse, I will work through this and get back to you.

I do need it as a one big button push, will that be much more work or can what you have given me be altered.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back