Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Populating Fields from Drop Down Menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

groffj24

Technical User
Dec 18, 2003
US
How do I get all fields to populate when I choose, say, a customer number, to get all of its related fields ie, address,city,state,zip. I drop down the menu and choose a customer number but its not populating the fields like I want it to. I know this is probably a very simple procedure but I'm brain dead and can't figure it out today!

HELP!!!
Judy

Do you need the user to just view those populated fields or have the ability to edit?

To just view, I might suggest a list box.

To have the selection fill in other fields and still be able to edit, you can simply in the onchange event:

me.txt1 = me.combo1.column(1)
me.txt2 = me.combo1.column(2)
me.txt3 = me.combo1.column(3)

...or (if edit), are you trying to use the combo to find a spesific record in the form. If that's the case, create a new combo with the combowizard, chose the third alternative "Find a record on my form based...", then select fields, hide key column...

Post back if problems, Roy-Vidar

Its a tabular form and the first tab is the customer info. The combo box is a lookup using the clientID and the other boxes are client related, ie, address, etc. The user will have the ability to add a new Order or search existing form for a previous order (but this is by Job number and it works) and this is updateable because I chose the Dynaset (Inconsistant Updates). I just can't seem to get the fields to populate when a new order is being place.

Thanks so much for any input.
Judy

Hi again!

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your challenge. But to me it seems you are trying to use a "dual" functionality for the combo.

It seems to me you are both trying to use it to find existing information and saving information to a table. I've never been able to do that.

If this is what you're trying, consider having 1 unbound combo to sarch with (as my previous post) and 1 combo to populate the client id with (select client).

HTH Roy-Vidar

I have a current setup where i use a form with subforms to do a similar thing. The form is bound to table 'JOBS' and when ive selected the relevant JOB i wish to look at, the subforms then populate with information relating to this JOB ie ADDRESS and CONTACT. This works because the data is in three separate tables which are related by a unique ID.
I can then edit the info in table JOBS through my form.

is this any help?

I'm still not understanding either. You said information relating to the job is in the subforms (e.g. ADDRESS and CONTACT). What information is in the main form (JOBS) that you are editing? And exactly what's in each of the three tables? Is one of these tables a (boy forget my definitions) table that only holds ids?

Its okay. I got it to work by using the unbound situation to fix it and it seems to be working. Thanks so much for the input even though I was a bit vague at being able to describe the situation.

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back