Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Populate page viewer web part from list or menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofy78270

Technical User
Jul 24, 2007
US
Is it possible to populate the page viewer web part based on a selection from a list or menu on the same page?

We have a product specs section of our intranet and would like for employees to view the desired product spec in the current page without sending them out of SP into the docs application. All docs are either word or excel at this point, but pdf may be introduced at a later date.

I would like to show a list of items such as a document library in webpart one. Once an item is selected from within webpart one, I would like it to open in webpart two, the page viewer web part.

As users have been known to save copies locally or print them out when they open in the native application such as word or excel. I would like to prevent this, or at least curb it by opening the document in the webpart.

this is very simply done.

1. Use a data view web part to list out all the details from your documents list.

2. Create an IFRAME (HTML tag) on the page, dont add any web parts for this. Give the IFRAME a name.

3. In your data view web part modify the document link and set its "target" attribute to the IFRAME's name. You may not understand this step until you actually create the data view web part...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

So I need to do this through SP Designer? Is there a way to do this without that as our corp does not want us to install SP Designer.

hey,

its tough to do this without SPD mate :(

So I finally got SP Designer installed, though it was a difficult task. Now, You said don't add any webparts to the page, I am unclear on this. I need the dataview webpart, but I can't have other webparts on the page or does the viewer portion need to be a blank page by itself?

hey,

the first step is to create a web part that will display the links on which the user clicks.

The next is the page viewer web part.

Currently what webpart are you using to do the first task? The default list view? If yes then this has to be converted to a data view web part. Let me know if you are facing issues on this. Once this is done from there its a cakewalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back