Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 user unable to download new mail from POP3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesyb

MIS
Sep 13, 2002
GB
I am running Domino 5.0.3 as a POP3 mail server with Outlook as a client and some users are unable to download all of their mail. Apparantly this is because Domino considers these messages to have been have been read by the user and does not download them when the user connects, this is annoying users and eating up disk space on the server. This issue is fixed in version 5.0.6 but I am not going to be able to upgrade the server for a while and could really do with some way of getting these messages downloaded to the clients - anyone got any ideas?

The 'mail read' control is in Outlook. When outlook downloads from the POP3 host of Domino, it removes all the messages from the users mail file by default. Unless you adjust the advanced options for that mail account to leave the messages on the server then it won't delete them.

POP3 does not provide a transport for 'mail read'. IMAP does since the messages stay on the server. If outlook cannot download all the messages the user thinks are there, then I suspect the user.

How do you check the users mail file for mail that they have but cannot download?

Derek

I am having the same problem. Our staff do travel quite oftenand they usually check their email via inotes, when they are back in the office they cannot download the ones that have been read. any suggestion?

All,

What happens if the iNotes users log in to iNotes and mark mail as unread, before downloading?

You could also enable the setting "Don't maintain unread marks" on the Advanced tab of the database properties dialog.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back