Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 undeliverable mail using SBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrivenj

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a problem and I hope that you can help.

We are running SBS 2000 and are using Exchange to download several POP3 mailboxes for our domain (domain.co.uk).

Things are working fine for incoming and outgoing Email. However, we have hit a flaw in the setup.

There are certain people who use a POP3 account on the road and so Exchange is not set to download these mailboxes. These people access the POP3 Email either using internet mail from home, or using a Palm & IR.

Now the problem comes when we try to Email these people. Exchange bounces back the Email with the message:-

-------------------------------

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: TEST
Sent: 17/09/2003 14:55

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'homeworker@domain.co.uk' on 17/09/2003 14:55
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
<exchange.domain.local #5.1.1>

------------------------------

Now I think I understand why this is (Exchange thinks that it owns the domain and bounces it as an invalid local address).

What I need to do is find a way of sending the mail to our ISP's SMTP server if the address is not resolved locally.

Is there a way of doing this ??

If not, what is the cleanest work around ??

Much obliged for any help that you can provide.

Thanks !!

Jon

Hi,

I finally got a (simple) solution from someone else.

There were lots of complex solutions from Microsoft and other people who had the same problem - but as they say 'Keep It Simple Stupid'.

Here is the solution:-

You can do this: IF and only IF those users don't have mailboxes/accounts in
the SBS server you can do the following:

Virtual SMTP server-> Properties-> Messages tab -> Put your ISP's smtp
server in &quot;Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host&quot;.

Respect to Javier Gomez who gave me the answer.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back