Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop3 Issue on Exchange SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrIPO

Instructor
Oct 23, 2003
AU
Hi All

Can somebody can help me.

I have just done a box drop on a old Apple Mac network where they were running a simple SMTP/POP3 mail server called Quickmail, and lots of os 9 clients

I have installed the SBS server and configure the server with accounts and email services via exchange Installed new PC and XP and Office XP all working great.

However I have just been told that they had 4 remote accounts that used to access accounts on the old POP3 server.

I have configured these accounts in server manager however I cannot access the accounts via outlook express, I get the following error

No Socket error,on 110.

Looks like pop3 services are not enabled as default ??

How would I configure these accounts and the server to enable remote pop3 client to be able to access their mail
Would you create these accounts in Active directory ???

Regards

Further to this when I look at the POP3 Service for exhange it is disabled and I cannot start the service, I am guessing it is dependant on something else

Right-click the service 'Microsoft Exchange POP3' | Properties

Change 'Startup Type' to Automatic | hit OK

Right-click the service 'Microsoft Exchange POP3' | Start

Open Exchange
Drill down to Servers | server_name | Protocols | POP3 | Default POP3 Virtual Server

Right-click 'Default POP3 Virtual Server' | Start

Note: Assuming your server is behind a router/firewall, don't forget to forward port 110

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I wonder if this might be the problem we are experiencing with not receiving email from POP 3 account. Could you please tell me where you forward port 110?
Thank you.

I would have to know how your network is set up.
What are you using for a router and/or firewall?

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Seems that the service starts first go now and you can retrive the mail via POP3 (Outlook)

I did not need to perform

Drill down to Servers | server_name | Protocols | POP3 | Default POP3 Virtual Server

Why not ??? What was this doing ??

The virtual POP3 server will not start until the POP3 service is up and running.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I have successfully set up my SBS 2k3 and all is running nice EXCEPT for external outlook users that wish to pick up their mail by POP (some of my users are on the road and use outlook express). I used to use a different mail server and so I know that the firewall ports and forwarding etc are all correct.

My users get the message:-

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'xxxxxx', Server: 'xxxxxx', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Please HELP :)

Martin Trew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back