Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 error???

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigholt1

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
GB
I have connected a computer to a windows 2003 sbs server with no issues, however when I try and send an email using pop3 it errors with an error 530?? I am not using POP3 connector or exchange on the server just an independant email account (yahoo). I can collect mails, I just cannot send any. When not connected to the domain the email account the mail works fine. Please help.

If the client is using Outlook make sure that there is no exchange account setup on his outlook profile. Just because you are not using it doesnt mean that the sbs didnt set one up. If there is an exchange account set up in the outlook users profile outlook usually defaults outbound e-mails to exchange. So that account needs to be removed. If this is not the case please paste the actual error so i can see what server is sending you the error.

The actual message that I get is:
Task mail.xxxxxx.com - Sending reported error (0x800CCC78) : Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. the server responded: 530 authentication required - for help go to
The settings appear to be correct because when I set them up on the machines local profile and to not connect to the sbs2003 domain they work and we can send emails fine??

I would make sure that you have steps 6 and 7 set up correctly. Smtp servers really dont care if your computer is atteched to a domain or not. But if an outgoing smtp server requires authentication (which yahoo does) you have to make sure that check box is checked. Let me know how this works for you.

Yahoo! Mail users can read their email in Outlook by subscribing to the Yahoo! Mail Plus service. This service allows you to use Outlook or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail messages.

To configure your POP settings for Microsoft Outlook 2002 (sometimes referred to as Outlook XP) and 2003, follow these steps:

1. From the Tools menu, select "Email Accounts." You may have to click the arrows.
2. Select the radio button next to "Add a new email account" and click the "Next" button.
3. Select the radio button next to "POP3" and click the "Next" button.
4. Enter the following information:

User Information
* Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
* Email Address: Enter your full Yahoo! Mail address (for example, "user@yahoo.com").

Server Information
* Incoming mail server (POP3):

pop.mail.yahoo.com

* Outgoing mail server (SMTP):

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Login Information
* User Name: Enter your Yahoo! ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com").
* Password: Enter your Yahoo! password.

5. Do not check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)."
6. Click the "More Settings" box and select the "Outgoing Server" tab.
7. Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication."
8. If you would like to keep a copy of your email messages on the Yahoo! Mail server, select the "Advanced" tab. Check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server."
9. Click the "OK" button.
10. Click the "Next" button on the Email Account Wizard, then click "Finished."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back