Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 email problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krash878

Programmer
May 8, 2001
US
I am dealing with an AS400 that handles email. The users are using Outlook to get their email but when sending and receiving, the sending portion times out. They are receiving multiple copies of the same email but they cannot send out.

When I do a NETSTAT to see the SMTP and POP3 stuff. I noticed that all the SMTP are "listening" and all the POP3 are "time wait".

I have IPLed the machine and have restarted the mail server using the following commands.

ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*SMTP)
ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*POP)
ENDMSF OPTION*IMMED)
STRCPSV *SMTP
STRCPSV *POP
STRMSF

Only to get the same response.

I do not know what to do next.

Thanks

Krash

Apparently one of the emails (not the one duplicating) was infected with a virus. I displayed the email and saw it was bogus so I deleted it from the AS400. Now when the problem comes up I know that I need to go look at that users email file and get rid of the bogus/virus email.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Krash

Mine was different, my situation turned out to be a corrupted que so we deleted it allowed it to recreate itself and all is well. It sure was a pain for a while Thanks for the response though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back