Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcephus

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
CA
Hello All,

I just installed Exchange 2003 in a Windows server 2003 enviroment. I started the POP3 connector but when I try to send email using the pop3 connector I get the following error message. Any suggestions?

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: ??????.dyndns.org', Server: ??????.dyndns.org', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

POP doesn;t send mail, you use SMTP to send. Check your SMTP conector ande make sure it is online.

FYI: Port 25 = SMTP
port 110 = POP

Don't you have a static IP? Why the entries for dyndns? If you have an exchange server why are you using POP3?

Outgoing mail is always SMTP, not POP3. POP3 is for pulling mail down.

SMTP uses port 25 and pop uses 110. Make sure your client is configured properly.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

LOL, nice cross posting huh nsantin? Nearly the same response.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry for the confusion. In my rush I made several mistakes.

Let me tell you the whole story. First, the reason why we use POP3 is because many of the people we work with are consultants and for them its better they use POP3 for their email.

Now, I have a server in production that is having the same problem as this one. This is a test enviroment which I set up not to long ago, and to my surprise it has the same error message when trying to send via SMTP from from outlook express.

I can pick up mail I just cannot send it. This was a fresh install of exchange. All I did was the add a recipient policy and enable pop3, and all the right ports are open and test. Any suggesions? Any one encounter simular problems?

You need to determine if there is a problem with the server or not. Use OWA. See if you can send out. If you can then you know you don't have an Exchange issue with outgoing email.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back