Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 Concurrent Session issue Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

serverhombre

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2009
US
Hi Everyone,

I was referred to these boards by a friend of mine who said you guys and gals are the most knowledgeable online! I appreciate your assistance in advance.

I set up a POP3/SMTP Mail server on my Windows 2003 Server machine. It works okay but I have one problem:

* An email user can only have one connection open via POP3 at once. For example, if a user wants to access mail via their iPhone and via their on-computer mail client, it won't work. It has to be one or the other.*

How can I resolve this issue? Is there a way to increase the number of sessions authorized or is there a way to simply allow concurrent connections?

Please Help!

Thanks!
Josh

You can't, POP3 is a single-user protocol. I've never been able to get my mail from 2 systems (leaving messages on the server for a week), without waiting for several minutes on the second system.
You could use an IMAP mail system (like Exchange), that has no such limits, and usually offers a POP3 connection for applications that don't support IMAP. The iPhone does support connections to Exchange since version 2.0 (
HTH
TonHu

FYI, I just found a way to do it in POP :)

There is a reg hack. :)

Hi serverhombre,

Would you be able to provide information or a link on the reg hack so that anyone else stumbling upon this thread will be able to find the information?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back