Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop-Ups Out of Control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwarner

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
I use a pop-up blocker (came with Google Toobar),but I still get way too many pop-up ads. What else can I do? Thanks.

Barry

1) Disable Windows Messaging Service, providing you have Win2k or better. Instruction son how to are here:

2) Download, install, update and run SpyBot
Once you've initially cleaned your system, enable the IMMUNIZE function. Run this program often to clean up any drive-by installs.

3) Load your HOSTS file. Instructions and a good starter file are here:

4) Get rid of the google toolbar. It's excess baggage and really a p.o.s. Not to mention that it technically falls into the spyware category. Read here:
...and...

Further, you might find this interesting reading, especially if you're running an older version:

Thank you for the quick and thorough response - I'll be working our implementing your suggestions.

Barry

Get popthis and adaware. these two tools will stop 99% of popups.get rid of google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back