Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop-up possible from onSubmit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakekr

Programmer
Jul 19, 2000
US
I'm trying to do something simple(?) -- make a CGI response screen appear in a pop-up window when I submit a particular form.

My fumbling attempts to do this through onSubmit have gone nowhere.

Is it possible to code a form so that your CGI's reply appears in a pop-up? Or should I scrap the idea and try some other interface approach?

Thanks!
[sig][/sig]

I have one more question I may as well add now. Assuming I *can* somehow call a pop-up window this way, is it then possible to make the child window force the parent window to "refresh" or "reload" through the window.opener syntax? What would be a typical way to approach that?

Sincere thanks for any light you may care to shed. [sig][/sig]

AFAIK, The response from a web page will be sent to the same window that made the request. I don't think you can override that, short of creating the popup window first and then submitting the request to the CGI program from there.

I'd love to be proved wrong. Anybody?.....

This link may help:
[sig]<p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br>[/sig]

Hello,

Try this html text in your browser:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>
</TITLE>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=&quot;JAVASCRIPT&quot;>
function testfunction(file_name)
{
var stringer=&quot; &quot;;
stringer=&quot;stringer+=file_name;
stringer+=&quot;&second_variable_name=second_variable_value&quot;;
window.open(stringer,&quot;checker&quot;,&quot;toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=510,height=500&quot;);
return false;
}
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM>
<BUTTON onClick=&quot;return testfunction('kdkdk')&quot;>
</form>
</BODY></HTML>
[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.