Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pop up icon when message comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasteup

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US

Is there a way to set up a rule so that when an e-mail message from a particular sender (not all e-mails) arrives an icon will appear in whatever other program I happen to be working in at the moment?

You can have it perform a particular sound but not a pop-up. That would be a custom action which means that someone would have to write a small program or library file that would do this for you. You may try searching to see if they have any such program. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

The sound would be fine, but how to I go about that? I'll fess right up that of all the programs we use I've always found the Outlook Help the least useful. Tks

It is one of the rules in Rules Wizard you can set up.

TOOLS - RULES WIZARD
NEW...
Check Messages When They Arrive
(click on Next)

From People or Distribution List (click on People or Distribution List link to specify the address from your address book)
(Click on Next)

Play a Sound (click on the sound link to locate a WAV file of your choosing)

Click on FINISH

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

In the same RULES WIZARD, click the option "Notify me using" then fill in the blank with a short statement you want to see, ie, "Important message from the Front Office".

I stand corrected. In all my years of doing this I just seemed to have never noticed that option. Thanks. joegz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back