Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop Up Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi there.

I have another question for all you experts out there. I have a compaq Presario computer. One of the MAJOR problems I am having is that there are pop-ups that continually pop up on the screen for no reason. I have one heck of a time getting them to go away, and when I do succeed, they just pop up again.
Does anyone have any idea where these pop-ups get written on the computer so that I may get rid of them?

They seem to always open up in either netscape or IE.

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

They can come from the website it self, or from malware. They install themselves when you go to certain sites, or download files. Use AdAware SE, and Spybot (both free), for a start to get rid of spyware. The newest version of IE has built in popware blocking. I use Avant Browser (IE overlay) which also has blocking built in. There are also many pop-up blockers on the internet.

micker337 is right jediwarrior, but just to make sure that malwate does not install in your pc again download spywareblaster, a very cool app that prevents malware and spyware from installing in your pc and it's free here is the link
-The Only Privacy Left Is The Inside Of Your Head!- QUAKED2023

just to share with you, i use:

1. lavasoft's ad-aware se and spybot seek & destroy for "seeking" and "destroying" malwares.
2. spyware blaster and immunity feature of spybot s&d for preventing malware installation
3. cwshredder for preventing redirections etc.
4. zonealarm free ed. as firewall.
5. norton anti-virus
6. ems free surker mk ii as "free but intelligent" pop-up blocker
7. and hijackthis for tracking the most stubborn malware.

now, i get better protection against spyware/adware with these softwares installed.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

All good advice above
also see;
and Delete your Caches - Temporary Internet Files, History, Recent, Temp, and Cookies if necessary.
Selectively clear out the \WINDOWS\DPF folder - HijackThis will help a ton for this

First run an up to date Virus Scanner;
Free online ver Disable System Restore if on XP or ME
Use Safe Mode when necessary

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Adaware SE is extremely good at ridding Adware and Spyware - and it find all of it 99.9% of the time! It once found about 100 Malicious items after a few days of running it previously - that's how fast Spy/Adware can build up!

And for further information there is a forum for virus/spyware discussion.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

XP? install service pack 2
Download and installed Microsofts FREE Antispy beta
Use Mosilla Firefox instead of Internet explorer!
AVG7
All Free!

Job done!
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Disable Messenger service in Control Panel --> System Admin also

jedi:

Everyone has made good suggestions; i personally use Ad-Aware & SpyBot S&D weekly on all my PCs.

Here's one more suggestion to add to the mix: Microsoft's Internet Explorer version 6 comes with a built-in pop-up blocker. I like it 'cause it doesn't pop up a pop-up to ask you if you want to block the pop-up!

It simply makes a sound to get your attention & puts a small message near the browser's toolbars, which instructs you to click on it to temporarily allow pop-ups (for the rare occasions when you really want to see one!) You may ignore it & keep browsing & the pop-up stays blocked.

You may download IE 6 for free from Microsoft here:

or here:

Regards,
Doc

======================================

"Freely you have received, freely give." --Jesus

pcdoc4christ@yahoo.com

jedi:

Where is my head at today? The pop-up blocker i use with IE 6 is not part of the browser's software; it's actually a feature of the Google Toolbar. You may download it for free from here:

There is a way to disable active scripting in IE for certain Web sites, which would block all pop-up ads from those sites. The instructions are found here:

Sorry for the misinformation,
Doc

pcdoc4christ@yahoo.com

Just a note, this forum contains its own spyware/virus section, the topic is growing and changing rapidly. Lots of good information to be found.

Keep windows xp updated if you have xp. XP SP2 has a pop-up blocker.

Do not download any junk off the Internet.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

True, ceh; i guess i was right about the pop-up blocker bundled with XP, afterall.

To activate it, one just has to start IE 6, then click Tools, Pop-up Blocker, then "Turn on Pop-up Blocker."

Doc

pcdoc4christ@yahoo.com

Hi all,

Thanks for all the tips, I'm going to look into everyone of them and see what I need to do that will be best for me.
You guys are full of info. I knew I could get the answers here.

Preciate it,

Jediwarrior

Sometimes all the spyware detectors in the world don't work. Some spyware is that bad. A friend of mine had some spyware that you could not get rid of not matter what we tried. Had to reload to get it back on track. To keep this from happening in the future, the best thing to do is to run firefox without java, javascript, uncheck the setting that allows websites to install software, and make sure the block popups setting is checked. This will solve your problems in the future. Also make sure you have the the spyware detectors installed and your firewall installed before you hook the internet back up, otherwise you may get something without even realizing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back