Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop? Soda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegistrationMark

Technical User
Feb 20, 2006
US
That stuff inside cola cans is called pop here in Minnesota. I saw an interesting geographical map of the US, detailing who uses "pop" or "soda" in their dialect.
Texans call it Coke, even if it's Sprite they're offering you.
So what do YOU call it?
Mark

in the uk we call it neither pop nor soda: it's called by its 'generic' - cola.

I have recently found myself using 'Soda' as a general term. But 'Coke' is prevelent in this area. I'm in Raleigh, NC.

Any links to the map you found? It might be interesting for folks to be able to see if they fall into the norm for their area.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

In certain parts of south Louisiana, something like a soda is a "cold drink" (it should be pronounced as if it were one word, and the accented syllable is "cold").

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

pessimisteternal I'm from the UK, currently Blackpool Lancs but born and raised in Herts, and I've always called it pop.

Columb Healy

My Grandfather (Oklahoma) always referred to these beverages as a "soda pop".

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

Locally (NY) we say "pop" but I find myself asking for "diet cola" at restaurants when I'm not sure if they serve Pepsi,Coke, or another brand.

It avoids the " .... and a diet Coke. Is Pepsi okay?" exchange with the server. My sense of taste abandoned ship some time ago so I guess I'm really asking for carmel-colored carbonation & not too sweet.

oh right. I gave up on "fat pop" about a month ago and the lbs have just melted off (about 20). Took me a while to find a diet pop i could handle.

Grew up in GA and FL it is Coke here unless you live in an area with transplants from the North.

I grew up in Nebraska and it was pop unless it was a fruit flavor like orange or strawberry, then it was a soda. I live in Virginia now and it took me a long time to start calling it soda. Ask for a pop and most people have no idea what you're talking about.

My grandmother would offer you a Coke (as far as she's concerned there is no other Pop/Soda) or a beer.

My father would offer you a soda, I would offer you a pop and my son would ask for a soda (someday I'll beat some manners into him and you'll be offered a soda).

I'm thinking perhaps the difference is just a sign of rebellion and has nothing to do with geography since we all live in the same city in Utah.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

BTW, Root Beer and Creme Soda are always reffered to by name as there's about an even like/dislike split and I would consider it rude be rude to be offered a pop/soda and receive either of these (insert your favorite synonym of vile/disgusting here) beverages.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

MrMilson,

Where in Utah are you from?

I tend to agree with you, Mr. Milson...Since I lost 102 lbs. in 108 days and went from being "Jabba the Hunt" and clinically Diabetic to non-Diabetic, thanks, in part, to my quitting "the stuff", I would be counted under the "Other" category because I now refer to all those liquids by their correct, fully descriptive, scientific terminology:..."Weight-adding, Gut-rotting Horse Pee".
[cheers]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Like anotherhiggins, I'm in Raleigh, and we use "Coke" as the generic term. I grew up in South Carolina, and it was that way there, too.

Oh, and North Carolina, the tea is *always* sweet -- it'll have enough sugar to put visions of beach-front property into your dentist's head.

Chip H.

In central Virginia, as far as I've noticed, we call it soda or coke in about equal proportions when we are asking someone if they want one. That gives them the option of telling you specifically what they would like. When asking for a carbonated beverage I would say that people are usually much more specific.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I grew up in Michigan using the term POP, but now I am a transplant in GA and have adopted the term COKE. When I go home my mom asks my kids if they want a POP and they think they are in trouble since the term POP means I'm going to pop you upside the head if you don't behave.

pessimisteternal,
I disagree - I've heard plenty of folk in the UK refer to it as pop; mostly southerners I believe though, and usually I've heard it called "a can of pop" rather than just pop.
And I have heard no one (I think) call it cola! Mostly referred to as "fizzy drink" or "soft drink" IME.

SantaMufasa,
102 lbs in 108 days?!!!! Blimey, good going - congrats! You must have cut out a LOT more than fat pop for those sort of results!

[sub]"What hath night to do with sleep?[/sub]
[sup]Night hath better sweets to prove"
[/sup]

LFCfan, I grew up in South Yorkshire and it was always 'pop' there. Mind you that was some 30 years ago so things might have changed. Strangely, the generic term here in Scotland seems to be 'juice' whether still or sparkling, including the local 'Irn Bru'. I tend to keep off the stuff unless it's mixed with Vodka, however.

I'd agree with fizzy drink or pop for the UK, although I have also heard some people refer to it as lemonade, which always confused me as a generic term.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back