Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP Mail w/ Multiple Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

bworley

MIS
Mar 26, 2002
US
Hope somebody has experienced this:

We have an NT 4.0 domain and an Exchange 5.5 server. We have some users using Corporate Mail with the Exchange server thru Outlook, and other users are still POP-ing their email off the Exchange server (either thru Outlook Express 5.x or Outlook w/ Internet email.) We added a second Exchange 5.5 mail server to our site and have been gradually moving the private information stores to the new server. The problem we encountered is that if a user is moved to the second server in our site, then for some reason if they are POP-ing their mail, they are able to send email but not receive email. Are we missing some kind of forwarder? re-routing? are a setting in our Internet Mail Site connector??

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Did you change the clients to point to the new server? Is POP3 enabled on the new server? (telnet to port 110)

For many of the recipients, we have gone into the recipient properties, the advanced tab, and changed the "Home Server" to be the new server, and when we click Apply or OK the system transfers the recipients information over to the new server.

I can telnet to the new server to port 110. I receive the +OKxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx message.

Can this be related to antivirus? We are running Norton Antivirus (Corporate Edition) on the server. I disabled it momentarily, and tried POP-ing mail. I think it worked, but I'm not sure because I'm trying it with a different account on a different machine.

I didn't think you could move a mailbox that way (although I'm not sure what actually does happen when you change it). I've always used Move mailbox from the Tools menu.

Does the banner when you telnet actually say Microsoft Exchange POP3? If not, then yeah, check out the antivirus.

And you do need to tell the client that it is now using a different server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back