Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pop keeps changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlier

Programmer
Dec 11, 2000
US
HI,
I am running outlook express on an XP machine. I have a broadband connection.
The problem is the email account server properties keep changing. i have similar setups on other machines inhouse, they don't have this problem.

i set the incoming mail (a pop) to pop.xx.net
then i can check my mail without problems, until i go to check my mail later, (restarting outlook express) and get "cannot find server 'local host'"
then i go back into tools>accounts>then select account,pick the server tab and see that incoming mail: local host and account name canges to xxx@xyz.com/pop.xx.net
when it used to be xxx@xyz.com
so i change the incoming email back to pop.xx.net and change the account name back to xxx@xyz.com, and i can check my mail just fine, until i start up outlook again, then it goes back.
i want to end this vicious circle, please help

Do you happen to have Norton Anti-virus, or other anti-virus loaded? I see this a lot with, specifically, Norton. It wants to run the mail through it's own little "proxy" to scan for virus'.

PC-illin is instaled on the system, any ideas?
thanks,
vlier

Don't have it, so you'll have to check the Help file for it, but I betcha it's the culprit.

I've had this happen many times and no longer use PC-Cillan for just this reason. When you enable the mail scanning feature of PC-Cillan, it makes this change. Inherently there is nothing wrong with this - it is supposed to do that. Somehow, when receiving, the mail is placed in some temporary location (proxy as lander 215 mentionedand) and scanned. Then it is delivered to OE.

This is OK and actually correct function. The problem is (for whatever reason) that at some point it stops working. Then you have to manually change it back to your regular mail server address. Whatever jams it up is your real problem. And for that I have no solution. Other than changing to a different virus scanner, you could disable the mail scanning function of PC-Cillan, but that's not a good idea.

you are correct lander 213
i checked pcillin's website and found it to be a known issue
bummer now is that i have to wait for a response from thier tech support

thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back